• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Print numbers for personal aircraft?

Reveal1

Found several older threads on this regarding wraps of commercial aircraft (a whole different ballgame) , and cut vinyl for smaller aircraft, but not much on digital print. Customer has personal aircraft wanting digital print numbers. Anyone here have experience with this? Does it require FAA approval as with wraps? Special materials? Was thinking cast wrap material like Arlon 6100 that we use on trailers.

unclebun

The rules are here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg.../CFR-2017-title14-vol1-part45.xml#seqnum45.21

This is a clarification document which expands on it, and explains that you cannot use removable tape except under certain circumstances of temporary lettering (which is covered in the rule linked above also) https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 45-2d.pdf

The pdf does say you can use decals in the same paragraph that says you cannot use removable tape. However, the point of that paragraph seems to be that the marking has to be permanent, with removal being difficult.

You are required to apply the N-number in a permanent way. Use paint that needs thinners or strippers to remove it, or use decals. Do not use tape that can be peeled off and do not use water-soluble paint, such as poster paint.

Last edited:

rjssigns

I was told if it's a homebuilt darn near anything goes. Interesting chat with a husband/wife team building a plane. They wanted to talk about a wrap. Told them no way I was touching it because of airframe regs. Found out they talked to others that had built the exact planes and wrapped them.(photos were gorgeous) Those people actually talked to the FAA beforehand to get the skinny. Homebuilt is a completely different animal in the eyes of the FAA. Maybe something has changed since I talked to them? Always best to check.

unclebun

Just wondering why they would want digitally printed numbers. They are supposed to be solid color and shadows and outlines are only allowed when necessary for readability.

Reveal1

Just wondering why they would want digitally printed numbers. They are supposed to be solid color and shadows and outlines are only allowed when necessary for readability.
Thanks for bringing that up - I'll ask. Hope things are going well over there in the central part of the state.