• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital print on Formed Faces...What to use?

klemgraphics

I have a couple of pan formed faces that need to have a logo put on them and I have no idea what material would be the best to print on for optimum results.
Size is 3'x6'
Pan formed translucent faces(old lettering already taken off and they are in good shape)
Logo is 4 colors so I am thinking printing them will be easier than using cut vinyl, but which media do I use? Can I use a translucent or will that block too much light? I don't see many options for clear media and I really don't know anything about any of them so any help is greatly appreciated.

Any special considerations need to be addressed when printing on a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 62?

I'm sure this makes me sound like a newbie and I guess really I am in the whole electrical sign side of things and no I am not installing these or servicing anything, just putting a new graphic on the faces.

Custom_Grafx

There is translucent white media for digital printing that you can buy. I have used a product made by a company called Aslan for this type of thing. It's a nice material to print on and gives good results, but is very soft and thin when printed on, so I laminate it to assist with installation.

You may want to double strike the printing for more vibrance in the colour.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you really want it to pop, print to clear and do at least a double pass.

If you must use translucent, use a media designed to hold inkjet..... and then cover it with a clear laminate.

klemgraphics

If you really want it to pop, print to clear and do at least a double pass.

If you must use translucent, use a media designed to hold inkjet..... and then cover it with a clear laminate.
Thanks Gino, this is what I thought also. What type of clear do you print to? From what I find in supplier catalogs it doesn't look to be too popular.

J Hill Designs

if you REALLY want it to pop, double strike digi print on white trans vinyl first surface, mirror print on clear second surface

MikePro

two layers. double-strike on a single layer makes your graphic too dark during the day and single strike on one layer looks great during the day, but washes out with light at night.

print/cut one layer of white trans and apply a print/cut layer of clear over the top.

klemgraphics

two layers. double-strike on a single layer makes your graphic too dark during the day and single strike on one layer looks great during the day, but washes out with light at night.

print/cut one layer of white trans and apply a print/cut layer of clear over the top.
Wouldn't you still have the same amount of ink doing it like this? Or does the clear vinyl between the ink make all the difference?

MikePro

I've had best outcome from the clear print second surface...
my bad, I use the clear on the back of the face with the white trans. on the front.

Wouldn't you still have the same amount of ink doing it like this? Or does the clear vinyl between the ink make all the difference?
its not the clear between, as much as it is keeping your colors from turning black from double-striking with additional ink.
I'm corrected tho' from my previous post... white trans print on the face, clear print applied to the back (not directly to the face)