Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Print Outdoor Sign

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Rickey J, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Rickey J

Rickey J Member

Dec 28, 2005
    St. Louis Mo
    Ok,
    I have a customer who is needing a sign for their building. It will be printed and applied to alum. then attached to the building. What material should I use? A wrap material such as LG LD823 HP Cast with lam? Or Would An LG LD393 Calendered with Lam be ok? The brands I used are just examples. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Tags:
  2. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

I only used Cast materials for long term projects. If you search this site for Cast vs. Calendared you'll get a bunch of useful knowledge.

For what your describing I'd use 3M-IJ180 w/ 3M 8518 (or 8519) laminate.

3. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1

4. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

Calendered is great for long term. I've done some on aluminum. I've also seen some people use calendered on 2-3" foam. Anyone know what foam is used for this tgats smooth enough?

5. dman0427

dman0427 Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Years ago we tried applying vinyl to painted foam. The foam was so porous that bubbles formed after application. It was like the foam was gassing out somehow. Weird.

The only way we have had success is by laminating acrylic to the foam before applying any vinyl.

Gatorfoam has a very smooth face that can accept vinyl, but it is not a long term outdoor substrate.