• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

digital print under epoxy floor

bigben

I have a customer that make epoxy floor asking me to make some prints that will be installed on a floor then poured epoxy over it. I know I've saw this subject somewhere here but cannot find it anymore. Maybe I use the wrong keywords.

The prints will have overlap/butt joint to cover almost all the surface area. So to make it short, what material should I use for this type of application? Should it have a laminate over it to avoid scratches when working with the epoxy or for easier install? Can I do overlap or preferably butt joint with a double cut?

Thanks. Ben

MikePro

i would merely laminate to protect from scratches while they spread the epoxy, as well as to keep the epoxy from breaking-down the ink along the way.
beyond that, cast vinyl/lam is recommended but i'm sure you could "get away with" nearly anything. bonus points for zero-overlap, but that's just my thing.

bigben

i would merely laminate to protect from scratches while they spread the epoxy, as well as to keep the epoxy from breaking-down the ink along the way.
beyond that, cast vinyl/lam is recommended but i'm sure you could "get away with" nearly anything. bonus points for zero-overlap, but that's just my thing.
I've got a concern about the material shrinking especially for the butt joint or lift in anyway causing problem with the epoxy floor. Maybe the material is fixed there with the epoxy and will never move? Did you ever tried it?

MikePro

only on bags boards and bartops. once encapsulated, you should be fine. however, i've never done it with CHEAP vinyl so i cannot confirm if there may be potential for shrinkage over time...but i would still doubt it.

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
Just curious... Does flooring epoxy generate sufficient heat to be of concern for print applications like this?

bigben

Just curious... Does flooring epoxy generate sufficient heat to be of concern for print applications like this?
Well, I never tried it. But I saw some videos of installs. Some are just using poster paper and apply glue on the backing before pouring the epoxy over it. I would have a concern going this route. I've called all my supplier and few manufacturers rep and no-one could tell me for sure what material to use. They all say I would have to make some test. So this is what I'm gonna do.

netsol

wouldn't it make sense to make a couple small samples and let him encapsulate them?

a 12" square sample will act the same as something the size of a football field

all epoxy formulations are not created equal (nor are all laminates)

MNeel

I have a customer that make epoxy floor asking me to make some prints that will be installed on a floor then poured epoxy over it. I know I've saw this subject somewhere here but cannot find it anymore. Maybe I use the wrong keywords.

The prints will have overlap/butt joint to cover almost all the surface area. So to make it short, what material should I use for this type of application? Should it have a laminate over it to avoid scratches when working with the epoxy or for easier install? Can I do overlap or preferably butt joint with a double cut?

Thanks. Ben
AlumiGraphics Smooth by FloorSignage.com will work great!

visual800

Dont know if epoxy has changed but last time I did it I ordered cheap prints from signs365 NOT LAMINATED and contour cut and placed on rink and then epoxied over, no problems, that was a few years ago.
I dont see why you need anything expensive to make these with when the apoxy is the protector. If the decal will stick to the floor the apozy will stick to it

bigben

Dont know if epoxy has changed but last time I did it I ordered cheap prints from signs365 NOT LAMINATED and contour cut and placed on rink and then epoxied over, no problems, that was a few years ago.
I dont see why you need anything expensive to make these with when the apoxy is the protector. If the decal will stick to the floor the apozy will stick to it
My concern is the reaction between the epoxy and the material/ink. Like the epoxy creating an chemical reaction and ''burn'' the material.

bigben

Roland TruVis 2 inks (solvent) no lamination required
just let it gas off for at least 24hours
And do you stick it directly on the floor or you make a first layer of epoxy, then the print and top it with epoxy? Did you ever do a whole floor? Do you do butt joint or overlap with this material?

Broome Signs

hi,
we stick direct to the floor and then see the edges with a small amount of resin, once dry flood the lot in one go
we tend to do an overlap most of the time
but some jobs call for a but joint, over lap then trim both sides and pull away access

good luck