• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital printing.

Hi I am new here and new to digital printing. I have been working with vinyl for about 15 years. I make construction road signs as my full time job, and bought myself a little cutter and started a side business. As I started to get more work, I wanted to get into digital printing as there isn't much competition in my area. I only do this in the evenings and weekends and was on a very limited budget. I bought a new cutter vinyl express from signwarehouse, but couldn't justify the price of a new printer. So I bought a used encad. I know I should have waited but I didn't. I paid under 2,000 for a vinyljet 36 with low print hours. I figured it would get me by until I could afford a better machine. I am mostly doing race cars, stickers, and truck doors. I was tired of layering all of those giant race car numbers. Well I am lost with this printer, and for Encad to send someone out the cost is 275.00 for travel and 205.00 per hr. labor. My question is should I bite the bullet and get some onsite help? The printer starts up, and runs but the colors do not seem to be mixing correctly. It isn't printing yellow at all. I put a new yellow cartridge in and it is doing the same thing. Like I said I know nothing about digital printing and I am trying to learn on the fly. The black is doing the same. Any ideas? Also is there a company is the central Pa. region that I could look too for training and maintenance. I know this thread is rambling but I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Checkers

I'm in central pa and know a fair amount about encad printers. I'll only charge ya $200 for travel and $185 an hour for labor :)
My point is it would appear to me that you didn't do your homework. From what I read, the Encad Vinyljet was a lemon of a printer and never did work very well. But you may, eventually, get sellable prints out of it.
I would start by carefully cleaning everything, paying particular attention to any electronic or hose connection points, bushings or bearings. The proper way to do this should be deatiled in the owners manual or users guide. If not, you may be able to download the info from Encad's web site, there's a wealth of information there. From there, just about anything can go. It could be anything from clogged ink supply lines to a faulty mother board or even a bad file. But, judging by your lack of experience, it would be hard to even estimate the problem.
Try googling or looking in the phone book for a local printer repair company and you may get lucky. If not, you may want to look into purchasing a service contract for the printer. It probably will cost at least $2k, but you'll know it will keep you running for the next year.
If no one else chimes in, the last option would be to put it on Ebay.

Checkers

drdeath19134

Did you ever get it fixed.?

Hi I am new here and new to digital printing. I have been working with vinyl for about 15 years. I make construction road signs as my full time job, and bought myself a little cutter and started a side business. As I started to get more work, I wanted to get into digital printing as there isn't much competition in my area. I only do this in the evenings and weekends and was on a very limited budget. I bought a new cutter vinyl express from signwarehouse, but couldn't justify the price of a new printer. So I bought a used encad. I know I should have waited but I didn't. I paid under 2,000 for a vinyljet 36 with low print hours. I figured it would get me by until I could afford a better machine. I am mostly doing race cars, stickers, and truck doors. I was tired of layering all of those giant race car numbers. Well I am lost with this printer, and for Encad to send someone out the cost is 275.00 for travel and 205.00 per hr. labor. My question is should I bite the bullet and get some onsite help? The printer starts up, and runs but the colors do not seem to be mixing correctly. It isn't printing yellow at all. I put a new yellow cartridge in and it is doing the same thing. Like I said I know nothing about digital printing and I am trying to learn on the fly. The black is doing the same. Any ideas? Also is there a company is the central Pa. region that I could look too for training and maintenance. I know this thread is rambling but I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Just wanted tofind out if you ever got it fixed.