Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital printing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by graphix, Nov 16, 2009.

1. graphix

graphix Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Ohio
    ok new to this, i seen or see alot of banners ect, that the design has kinda large colored dots up close but from distant looks good , how do they do this or is this a resolution thing, looks like it would save a little on ink
    i have a sp540 just vurious if i need to be looking at trying or printing my banners like this...
    thanks

Tags:
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    It is all in the design. Eco So link is so cheap why worry about it?
    You might be looking at something screen printed, not trying to save ink, just easier to print with larger HALFTONES ( those "dots" you are talking about) Look good from a distance, that is what they are meant for.

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Your looking at a screen printed piece it was it sounds like.

4. kazoosigns

kazoosigns Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Either screen printed, or UV printing. We farm out some of our bigger jobs to a company that uses UV printers, and their prints come back looking like a whole lot of stippling.

We do screen printed here too, and if you're looking at the bigger dots, that's a halftone, like Mosh was saying. One of our competitors has an automated 4-color screen print outfit, and it has halftones on everything, just to get the colors to look correct.

5. Merritt Big Color

Merritt Big Color Merchant Member

Its dot gain from the printer..

Old school grand format printers that print at a lower resolution are the cause.

First and Second generation Nurs and Vuteks printed that way many of these machines are still printing the same garbage right now...

6. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    UV

7. Merritt Big Color

Merritt Big Color Merchant Member

We print UV on two Jeti 3150s and roll to roll on a 3200r. Never get dot pattern as indicated above.

However on an older grand format machine that prints 100dpi the dot gain is very apparent almost "grainy looking"