• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital prints onto plexiglass

signstation

Good Morning all.
A little guidance with this would be great...
When I run all my prints through the cold laminator to mount to any large substrate it works fine, until that is when it comes to mounting onto large sheets of plexi (for cabinet faces). I have bubbles across it. This happens 99% of the time. is this due to the "cast" uneven surface of the plexi or am I missing something?
I have, for the last 15 years of work, floated vinyl onto plexi and used squeegees in the traditional manner. i just needed to know if there are any concrete solutions via the laminator to save time and effort.
Thanks,
Andy

rjssigns

Strange as it sounds your Plexi may have too much moisture in it. That may be what is causing the bubbles. Acrylics are supposed to be baked at a given temp to drive out moisture before decorating. I never do because I don't do full coverage.

Donny7833

Big bubble you see as you laminate are most likely due to low spots if it's cast acrylic. Small bubbles that appear awhile after laminating is outgassing. For outgassing, I like to peel the sheet and cover it with a polyester cloth (to keep dust off) and let it gas out for a few days.

HulkSmash

We laminate mount on lexan and acrylic all the time, no major issues. Try to let it outgas when you remove the protective plastic over it.

signstation

I've never heard of letting plexi outgas before applying a print to it? Is this common practice? Tell me more please.

rubo

"i just needed to know if there are any concrete solutions via the laminator to save time and effort.
Thanks,
Andy"

INKAID + any water-based pigment ink will take care of it - forget lamination, print directly on plexi, save the aggravation.:toasting:

LarryB

I have a highway handyman laminator. Costs about $2000. Use it to mount all of our prints and never have any issues. Definite time saver.