• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

digitally printed sign face question

gabagoo

I recently printed a digital sign face for another sign shop. The print was 50" x 20' and basically in the shape of a triangle. He wanted it printed reverse to put on the back of clear plexi, and then back it up with a diffuser vinyl

I ran the job and did a double hit and the colour was a medium blue gradient going to a dark blue gradient. You can imagine the smell of ink in this office that day..lol

After printing it sat for about a week and they applied it today. I warned them to be extremly careful while squeegeeing as the ink was on the side they would squeegee...never even entered my mind to premask, but that would be their call. I guess it could have been laminated too but it would be on the wrong side.

They called and told me about the install and just how incredibly soft the vinyl was. I explained that a double hit of such a dark colour would do that and they had to be extremly careful.

He said when he cut away the sides to the image and removed the backing paper, while wetting down the backside it started curling up on them and left some glue residue on the printed side and they wanted to know how they could get it off.
I told him I didn't think you could use anything without harming the print, although the good thing is that the glue would be on the back side of the print so possibly unoticeable.

Is there a way to get adhesive off printed solvent ink without damaging it? somehow I doubt it.

Tim Kingston

I guess I don't really understand your method. What we do is print on DOL1000 ( clear printable lam. ) in reverse. then apply a white vinyl on top. So, instead of printing on vinyl and use a clear laminate we print on the clear laminate and use the vinyl as a protective coating. Then apply the decal to the ( what will be ) the underside of the plexi as normal. I usually add 10% ink to anything backlit, top or bottom. Tim

PS- I don't know man , the best thing I know for adhesive is varsol . If it is on the unprinted side it should come right off. If not, pretend it's not there! :smile:

gabagoo

I guess I don't really understand your method. What we do is print on DOL1000 ( clear printable lam. ) in reverse. then apply a white vinyl on top. So, instead of printing on vinyl and use a clear laminate we print on the clear laminate and use the vinyl as a protective coating. Then apply the decal to the ( what will be ) the underside of the plexi as normal. I usually add 10% ink to anything backlit, top or bottom. Tim

PS- I don't know man , the best thing I know for adhesive is varsol . If it is on the unprinted side it should come right off. If not, pretend it's not there! :smile:

Thats basically what I did except I printed reverse on clear vinyl...they backed it up with white after the clear had been applied. If it were my job I would have printed it forward on clear and laminated it, then applied, but this is the way he wanted it.