• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dilemma...

gabagoo

I am working on this trailer and the front of the trailer is not flat to the sides, instead it comes out to a rounded point.
They designed the trailer with a strip going around it. I used 3m 2ml and while doing the stripe on the front I had to use soap and water to get it down without terribly wrinkling. I can only figure that it is the nature of the curve that to be able to get the stripe down and meet up on both sides without crimping the actual stipe at the middle front of the trailer has actually moved down about an inch.

Not detectable by eye at all, in fact I was pretty chuffed with myself that I got it to meet up so exact on both sides. it even passes through the removable rivets at the exact same point on both sides.
Problem now is that I have to place a logo which is 2 lines of text about 3" above the stripe and now it is evident that the stripe is actually lower dead centre of the front.

I am not sure what to do.... The trailer is black aluminum and scratches so easily I am afraid to use any utencils on it.

I just wonder if I should have made the stripe meet up at the centre from both sides in 2 pieces and just overlap them....

what you think.....

visual800

I think I know what your saying . I ran some pinstripes on a ski nautique and the smae thing happened. So I had to overlap them and then trim them straight, if this is what your talking about. They sorta formed an X where they met

gabagoo

here it is although it is hard to tell, it looks straight in the photo too

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 87

jfiscus

Rap Master
Center it top to bottom in the middle, it should flow like the lines do once applied. That's really all you can do anyways...

ova

I would think there's a seem or overlap in the aluminum somewhere on the sides where you'll be cutting a relief so the vinyl won't lift.

I would start at the closest seam towards the front and continue the stripe forward.I also would overlap it.

I do stripes like these on the hoods of tow trucks for a company. They come to a point in the center of the hood where I have them overlap then cut the "V".

Dave

gabagoo

I centred it as suggested but the square box on the far left is so obviously out of line with the stripe. No time to fix it now as it will be picked up in 10.
I will give the customer the option of removing the stripe and reapplying it with a seam dead centre at a later date.

Knowing him from what I have done up to date, he wont care...but I do!!

OldPaint

in corel its an easy fix with EFFECT, then ENVELOPE. lay out complete graphic you have there, and with the ENVELOPE, hold down the shift key and drag center node down about an inch.............this way the center will be the same distance from the stripe as the outside ends..........AND WILL STILL LOOK STRAIGHT from the front. do this with windshield banners all the time.

ThinkRight

I centred it as suggested but the square box on the far left is so obviously out of line with the stripe. No time to fix it now as it will be picked up in 10.
I will give the customer the option of removing the stripe and reapplying it with a seam dead centre at a later date.

Knowing him from what I have done up to date, he wont care...but I do!!

It might be an optical illusion.
The bottom of the stripe has the rivets almost perfect.
With the letters and box different sizes could be just negative space .
And your app tape is not straight.

jfiscus

Rap Master
How did the final product turn out?

When I'm running striping (usually an ambulance box), I get out the tape measure & grease pencil. Measure off of a straight edge & put a dash every few feet. Then you really can't go wrong & everything will meet up.

AUTO-FX

in corel its an easy fix with EFFECT, then ENVELOPE. lay out complete graphic you have there, and with the ENVELOPE, hold down the shift key and drag center node down about an inch.............this way the center will be the same distance from the stripe as the outside ends..........AND WILL STILL LOOK STRAIGHT from the front. do this with windshield banners all the time.

++++1

Border

Split the new decal just under the stripe between the two words. Lay them down one at a time starting with the lower portion. You should be able to bend it or cheat it easier that way so that it runs parallel to the first stripe you put on already.

gabagoo

Cant split the logo, it has a stripe built into it so that would look like chit. the problem is that to get the stripe down with out heat guns or stretching it needed to drop that inch it seems.
The logo went on perfect and it did not need any transformation as OP suggested.
The customer loved it anyhow and off he went so to much worry over nutin!! lol :banghead: