• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimension tool: Fractions instead of decimals?

ashleighfiddler

Good morning,

In Flexi, does anyone know whether there is a way to format the text in the dimension tool to be in fractions, rather than decimals? Similar to how corel's dimension tool can be set to Architectural, Engineering, fractional, etc?

I can't seem to find any info at all! Perhaps there's some kind of plugin or script out there?

We do shop drawings in flexi and our guys understand it much better when the measurements are in fractions. Doing it by hand is always an option but more time consuming. Thanks!

Gene@mpls

If you click in the square between the rules (upper left corner- with up and right arrows) you get the options- no fractions I am afraid for my older version. You can type in fractions and it will convert them- but it seems to 'think' in decimals or whatever type you prefer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In the dimension tool you should be able to just type in 10+1/8 and it will convert it to a decimal for you i.e. 10.125.

Computers fundamentally work with decimals and any time you see a fraction, it is just represented as ASCI characters. By inputting 10+1/8 the computer can carry out a real math equation.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Something 12 3/8" is an equation, not a value. This particular equation evaluates to 12 plus 3 divided by 8 or 12.375.

Displaying a value as an equation rather than its actual value is a convention of whatever software your using. Some packages provide the service, some don't. When values are displayed as fractions, the values displayed necessarily are only estimates, there is no guarantee that they are accurate. If you are satisfied knowing a measurement to, say, the nearest 1/8 or a fractional display of, say, 373/4953 is something with which you can deal then okay. But if you want to know the actual measurement then displaying it as a decimal value is the proper way to do it.

No matter to what you might limit your fractions there exists an infinite number of values in between any two points of your limit. I.e there's an infinite number of values between 1/8 and 1/4, or between 1/128 and 1/64 or any other two consecutive fractional values. The point being is that there are a whole lot more values than can be expressed as the quotient of two integers.