Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimensional bent steel, 1/8" x 3/4", powder coated

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by nolanola, Oct 4, 2018.

1. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Hello.
    Got invited to bid on this job for a local architect company.
    Gemini can't do that. They say they can only do cast with 1/4" minimum where I need 1/8"

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    The picture you show, what material was that?
    What material are they calling out?
    Is it going to be painted?
    Gemini can't water-jet cut that?
    It might be pushing the limits or some water jet cutters with the thickness thats called out (if it's aluminum). Depending on the quality of their cutter, the face may cut fine, but it tends to distort the farther into the material it goes.
    The other option might be cut 2 letters at half thickness and bond them together to the thickness you need.

3. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    They want steel 1/8" thick, 3/4" wide.
    Powder coated black.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  4. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    The image looks like bent steel to me.

Usually when I call out something this funky, I would have already seen if this was possible and referenced a company with the capability. I get clients who's in-house designers, design this type of thing. If this was sent out to bid, I can almost guarantee everyone is scrambling to see if this is possible.

This place near you says it can cut material within a 1 degree taper... thats well within allowable tolerances for your text, but doing it in steel seems problematic to me. I would call these guys.
    http://www.watercutinc.com/waterjet-cutting.asp

5. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Thank you!
    I think cutting it off 3/4" thick steel would be very expensive. Feels like cast is the way to go.
    I will call them.

6. Devon19515

Devon19515 Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Georgia
    steelart.com may be able to help

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I second calling steelart

8. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    I think you are better off checking with a iron fabrication shop, that will notch and weld the corners not waterjet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Go to your local steel fabrication shop. This is meant to be made from flat 3/4 x 1/8 stock, cut and bent into the shapes and welded at the apices. You might have to provide a 1:1 scale paper drawing as a template for them, as well as possibly making round forms for them to bend the steel around if they don't have them. An auto restoration shop would also have the tools to make them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    You need a blacksmith/steel fabricator as others have said.. At .125" thick, how are they mounted? The ones you show look like there are welded studs or maybe some kind of tab. If Gemini can do the .25" at .75" deep as cast, they would look so much better as the only other way is bending by hand and depending on who you can find, it could be a mess. I know a forge that does steel work and maybe they can do something like this https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northwood-Forge/163292203689005