• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional bent steel, 1/8" x 3/4", powder coated

nolanola

Hello.
Got invited to bid on this job for a local architect company.
Gemini can't do that. They say they can only do cast with 1/4" minimum where I need 1/8"

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 140

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hello.
Got invited to bid on this job for a local architect company.
Gemini can't do that. They say they can only do cast with 1/4" minimum where I need 1/8"

The picture you show, what material was that?
What material are they calling out?
Is it going to be painted?
Gemini can't water-jet cut that?
It might be pushing the limits or some water jet cutters with the thickness thats called out (if it's aluminum). Depending on the quality of their cutter, the face may cut fine, but it tends to distort the farther into the material it goes.
The other option might be cut 2 letters at half thickness and bond them together to the thickness you need.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
They want seel 1/8" thick, 3/4" wide.
Powder coated black.

The image looks like bent steel to me.

Usually when I call out something this funky, I would have already seen if this was possible and referenced a company with the capability. I get clients who's in-house designers, design this type of thing. If this was sent out to bid, I can almost guarantee everyone is scrambling to see if this is possible.

This place near you says it can cut material within a 1 degree taper... thats well within allowable tolerances for your text, but doing it in steel seems problematic to me. I would call these guys.
http://www.watercutinc.com/waterjet-cutting.asp

nolanola

The image looks like bent steel to me.

Usually when I call out something this funky, I would have already seen if this was possible and referenced a company with the capability. I get clients who's in-house designers, design this type of thing. If this was sent out to bid, I can almost guarantee everyone is scrambling to see if this is possible.

This place near you says it can cut material within a 1 degree taper... thats well within allowable tolerances for your text, but doing it in steel seems problematic to me. I would call these guys.
http://www.watercutinc.com/waterjet-cutting.asp

Thank you!
I think cutting it off 3/4" thick steel would be very expensive. Feels like cast is the way to go.
I will call them.

henryz

I think you are better off checking with a iron fabrication shop, that will notch and weld the corners not waterjet.

unclebun

Go to your local steel fabrication shop. This is meant to be made from flat 3/4 x 1/8 stock, cut and bent into the shapes and welded at the apices. You might have to provide a 1:1 scale paper drawing as a template for them, as well as possibly making round forms for them to bend the steel around if they don't have them. An auto restoration shop would also have the tools to make them.

Marlene

You need a blacksmith/steel fabricator as others have said.. At .125" thick, how are they mounted? The ones you show look like there are welded studs or maybe some kind of tab. If Gemini can do the .25" at .75" deep as cast, they would look so much better as the only other way is bending by hand and depending on who you can find, it could be a mess. I know a forge that does steel work and maybe they can do something like this https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northwood-Forge/163292203689005