• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional from the ground up.

SignManiac

This is one of the most challenging projects I've taken on in all my years of sign making. Design, engineering and build. Fourteen signs total all weighing close to 1,000 lbs. each.

Started with the concrete pedestal bases. Built a dimensional mold and poured 800 lbs. of concrete in each one. Broke the mold apart after 24 hours of cure time and then started on the next one. Afterwards, I shot them all with acrylic stucco for the texture and then painted them all. Just moving these around in the shop was a challenge, lucky we have a forklift.

The internal frame is C channel extrusion, and wrapped with polymetal on four sides. All of the various directional signs are v-carved 1/2" PVC shot with single stage automotive urethane. The topper is dimensional with the top of the crest built with .040 aluminum and the university logo on both sides. The white panel on top is 1/8" plate steel that I had powder coated so they can place temporary magnetic signs on when the have special events that need directional arrows placed to direct traffic for the one day event.

All of the concrete casting sit atop another 400 lbs. of concrete footer with 2" galvanized pipe stub that goes 6" up into the pedestal. Had to use an excavator to lift them into position on site.

This one did test my stress levels as a lot of it was all new methods I had never used before. I know the next time something like this comes up will be a lot easier now that I've figured out some of the bugs.

Attachments

• SLU Street-02.jpg
    SLU Street-02.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 100
  • SLU Street-03.jpg
    SLU Street-03.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 71
  • SLU Street-4.jpg
    SLU Street-4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 62
  • SLU Street-05.jpg
    SLU Street-05.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 67
  • SLU Street-06.jpg
    SLU Street-06.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 70
  • SLU Street-07.jpg
    SLU Street-07.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 75

rjssigns

Excellent fab work. Makes me feel like a wuss subbing out monument signs.

BTW What is acrylic stucco? Same thing as hard coat for foam? I am building a hot tub cover and inquiring minds want to know.

Marlene

wow, that was a lot of work! nicely done too. I like that you made real concrete instead of plywood covered to look like solid concrete.

SignManiac

wow, that was a lot of work! nicely done too. I like that you made real concrete instead of plywood covered to look like solid concrete.

I had to Marlene, I really don't like subbing out the fabrication if I can help it. I get better results when I can control everything in house.

SignManiac

Excellent fab work. Makes me feel like a wuss subbing out monument signs.

BTW What is acrylic stucco? Same thing as hard coat for foam? I am building a hot tub cover and inquiring minds want to know.

Not a hard coat. It's just a spray on texture coat like Drivit. I used this brand.

[FONT=&quot]Synthetic stucco / Parex 537 Rio Sand Light Base[/FONT]

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have designed them this way, precast makes for consistent finish than pour in place. I have seen them mounted with tubes and with rebar hanging from the bottom and grouted in place.... I'm not a big fan of stucco, I kinda like the raw concrete... Nice set of pics.

SignManiac

Thank you Rick, appreciate that coming from you!. I'm sure there are probably better ways to engineer this kind of sign. I'm still in my senior year at the university of hard knocks :) I hope some of the newbies just getting started can appreciate that after 38 years full time in this business, I'm constantly learning many new things every single day. A doctor completes his/her education in ten years, we in the sign business never stop learning until the day we die...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If I had to figure that out on my own, I would have wimped out... I admire the huevos it takes to add to your skills and go beyond your comfort level. Self-taught newbies have a lot to overcome, I admire the courage to take on this type of work.

My philosophy is everyday I am practicing the same basic principles that someone taught me, then learning bits and pieces as I go along. If I learned something new every day, my head would pop... When I worked for someone, they never let me go to Hardknocks, I did what I was told, I've been on my own for 8 years, now I'm in Hardknocks academy and I'm not diggin' it, so I ask people who know.

My dad is a concrete guy, everything that deals with cement, he has probably done it. I can't remember when he handed me and my brother a trowel and gave us a spot to finish, but I know he did it to get me and my brother out of his hair when he took us on jobs.

When I messed with the design of a major venue, this was a huge, pre-cast colored concrete sign, I asked him how it should be done. Sure enough that old man was dead on, he even told me to warn everyone that concrete was a natural product and that the variations in color was part of the charm, sure enough when the concrete was done, it was beautiful, but had color variations, I had prepared the client and other designers and they easily signed off on the finished sign. He even helped me with anti-graffiti coating suppliers. I'm going to miss him and his 65 years of experience when he is gone.

rjssigns

Thanks for the intel SignManiac. And like you I learn everyday.

I was watching a movie the other night and the guy said:
Good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that experience comes from bad judgement.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Very nice work! That's a lot of work for the bases, but they'll definitely stand the test of time.

Are the faces just stud-mounted to the cabinet?

SignManiac

Very nice work! That's a lot of work for the bases, but they'll definitely stand the test of time.

Are the faces just stud-mounted to the cabinet?

I spent over a $1,000 on 3M VHB tape alone. I couldn't pull them off at all no matter how hard I tried. It made for a really clean install with no visible hardware on the signs at all. I sure hope the architects made sure the street names were right :) Took five revisions before we started work.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Wow...$1,000!

VHB tape is incredibly strong. How much did you use? I can't see having to use a whole roll (or even close to that) for one elevation.

Not criticizing your work, but I think you might be able to save a lot of money in the future if you do similar projects.

SignManiac

The good stuff is $128.00 per roll. Used eight rolls on 14 pieces, four sides each. Besides, the cost of materials was nothing compared to the selling price.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This allergy medicine is kicking my butt. I guess I forgot that you did 14 of them. NOW it makes sense lol....

Nice work. :)