• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional lettering install

Sabre

I have a client looking to have 30" tall .080 aluminum letters installed on corrugated siding. The company cutting the letters is recommending a backing on the letters, although I thought if the letters were screwed to the sheet metal it would be rigid enough. You'll have to excuse me if I'm missing some very obvious parts of the procedure, we're playing middle man in something we haven't done before. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sabre

In this particular instance, yes. Our viewing distance is designed for 300meters plus. If it is unacceptable anytime, would I be better to mount the letters on a full length backing bar and mount the bar?

Sabre

Anybody else? Looks like my best bet will be a "double rail" type install, but the actual material of the rails looks like it varies quite a bit. Is there a common type that I should use?

I respect the opinion of this forum above any other influence in my sign/design field... Should I bow out of this before any money is spent?

Letterbox Mike

At that distance I'd just use a stainless steel panhead self tapping screw as well, paint them to match the letter finish and you'll never see them. 080 Aluminum is okay but you'll probably still see a little waviness to it between the corrugations. I would have used something like Dibond or equivalent for something a little more rigid.

yeah i'm not so concerned with screwing through the face of the letters because of the viewing distance, however, i am concerned with the choice of material since it is being mounted to a corrugated building. i would feel better with something more rigid given the size of these letters.

GVP

I would say .080 is a little thin for 30" letters - Dibond would have been a better choice. But if you're stuck with it, I'd rail them to get as even a face as possible, especially since the peaks on the siding is unlikely to run 100% flat...

J Hill Designs

300 metres (~1000ft) would need larger letters IMO - max impact on my "chart" for 30" letters is 350ft, max readable is 1250 ft....