• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Dimensional Letters offset of a wall

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
I have a customer who wants 3/4" thick acrylic letters 1" off set of the wall. My concern is the wall is an interior hollow sheet-rock wall.

Am I over thinking that this is to far out for the 1/2" sheet-rock to hold with out ample filler in the hole?
Or is there an installation option I am not thinking about..

The letters are about 18" tall and like I said 3/4" thick.

2B

that should be fine,
what you are looking for is called SNAPTOGGLE

some years ago we did acrylic panels that were 15.25"h x 85.25"w on 3/8" that was extended 12" away from the wall with 8 toggles per piece

Billct2

With letters that large you can use a combo stud/pad with some lexel. Of course the wall will be toast when they take the letters down.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Those are interesting Rick

A shop I used to work for - yikes, that was in 1998 - made their own stand-off similar to it by drilling out and leaving a little material at the bottom for adding an attachment out of acrylic or aluminum rod, then adding the male end to the letter, slipping into the stand-off and gluing in place.

They also used an undersized aluminum backer, attached that to the wall with tube and attaching the letter to the backer.

TSC1985

that should be fine,
what you are looking for is called SNAPTOGGLE

some years ago we did acrylic panels that were 15.25"h x 85.25"w on 3/8" that was extended 12" away from the wall with 8 toggles per piece

Would those work if stud mount letters? If so.....how?

bannertime

Would those work if stud mount letters? If so.....how?

Not without some witchcraft. You have to be able to turn the stud unless you have access to the inside of the wall to spin the threaded mount, but if that's the case then you wouldn't need these.

TSC1985

Not without some witchcraft. You have to be able to turn the stud unless you have access to the inside of the wall to spin the threaded mount, but if that's the case then you wouldn't need these.

Thats what I was thinking. Around that same vein I have a client that wanted fabricated alum. letters to be stand off 1.5" from building face into what I am guessing is drivet on brick/concrete. Any idea on that install? (I am trying to talk them off the ledge that is metal letters 1.5" standoff)

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Snaptoggle + standoff Barrel + construction adhesive to fill it.

Screw the barrel to the wall using same pattern for studs on letters. That will put the center of the barrel where the stud on the back of the letter is. Fill with construction adhesive. Barrels are more attractive to look at than threaded rods anyway, just need to fond out the ID of the barrel and make sure its relatively snug.

At least, I think it would work lol.

bannertime

Thats what I was thinking. Around that same vein I have a client that wanted fabricated alum. letters to be stand off 1.5" from building face into what I am guessing is drivet on brick/concrete. Any idea on that install? (I am trying to talk them off the ledge that is metal letters 1.5" standoff)

I'm not an installer, I work primarily on in house design and production. However, I don't see how that'd be a problem? with 2-2.5in studs, drill holes for the top studs and silicone pads on the bottom studs.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You'll be fine. Use a liberal amount of silicone. If it were me, I would use pads along with studs.

These were around 1" thick and 3'-4' tall and were installed with studs/pads/silicone.

11_2.jpg