• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Direct and Indirect Labor Costs

SqueeGee

How would you classify talking to/emailing/meeting with clients(and potential clients), estimating and taking orders? Are they direct costs or indirect costs?

I'm analyzing our business costs and estimating how much of our time is spent on direct costs(production) and how much is indirect(overhead).

2B

its direct,

example you are with customer ABC trying to get that new job approved, but you are not touching base with customer XYZ who has already approved the job and waiting for the product(s) but you can't produce until you are done with ABC.

Overhead, has to do more with your utilities, cost of materials/supplies, rent, taxes, etc...

SqueeGee

In my mind, sales time spent with potential clients who turn into actual orders would be direct costs. Time spent with potential clients who don't turn into actual orders would be indirect(overhead).

2B

either way it will get recorded as labor/time

as long as you are consistent it really doesn't matter

SqueeGee

I agree that at the end of the day, it won't affect the bottom line for historical purposes.

My intent, however, is to calculate our overhead(indirect costs) to insure that our billing rates are accurate.