• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Direct Print To Aluminum vs Vinyl Application?

Squared2002

We currently have a Canon Arizona 2380 and have been asked by a client to reproduce several Aluminum Signs used as directionals in a parking area. My question is even with Canon UV Inks would it be better to direct print these or print to Vinyl, Laminate then apply to the Aluminum? signs will be outdoors in Las Vegas, Nevada so heat is for sure a concern. Thank you in advance.

10sacer

Direct print to ACM or straight aluminum is for the most part a temporary solution depending on environmental factors and how long they need to last. I've seen ink just turn to powder and then fall off ACM after less than a year. If going direct, at least get the digital ACM. Ink adheres better. I'm sure someone out there probably has an ink set designated for your purpose depending on how many of these you produce.

4DPB

How about caring the ACM with a spray laminate or roll laminate after UV print on the ACM. We do use pretreatment for adhesion promotion for all our UV long term prints with good results. So far 1 year in direct sunlight in the Caribbean.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
If you're looking to make simple signs with more-than-decent exposure resistance? Old school is best school - cut vinyl on your final product. Even the most garbage vinyls will last many years. 3M Scotchcal and Oracal 651 are the market leaders in popularity for this application. They will outlive a printed product by lifetimes. This is how it has been done for decades. This sounds like what you need!

However, if you decide to print?? You should laminate no matter what - direct print or vinyl application.

Whether you print to aluminum or vinyl, your printer's ink longevity faces the same UV exposure resistance :).
Regardless of what Canon tells you, those inks are NOT high UV resistant, they're not even on the 3M MCS list. They are not remotely intended for outdoor competitive use.
In Las Vegas? Even the BEST inks are short life - and when you say "laminate", no laminates are considered equal in those exposures! Generic brands, PVCs, shelf garbage - none of that would survive a year. What do you normally use for those applications??

If you really are looking for LONG life for printed versions? Then you're getting into polyester and polycarbonate products with a lot of engineering behind them.

Tony-A

Reflective Traffic Sign-Graffiti Overlay Expert
I serve on a National Committee that focuses upon traffic safety If a sign is being used on city/ county or State roadways or is used on private property open to the public and not behind a gate the use of reflective sheeting meeting (MUTCD) Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices must be used. Traffic signs must meet the proper size, color, shape, retroreflectivity or else the sign is not in compliance. Furthermore if producing permanent traffic signs via a digital printer you should use the digital printer recommended by the reflective film manufacturer since it has been tested on their reflective film for proper color (chromaticity), durability and transparency. 3M and Nikkalite are good materials. You should also protect digitally printed signs with a UV overlaminate designed for use with the reflective film-especially for Vegas. Let me know if You need more recommendations, help or guidance- I have 36 years focusing on roadway signs to ensure compliance and reduce liability.