• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Direct To Substrate Longevity Outdoors

Chuck Peterson

I outsource my printing except for Gerber Edge stuff. I have a customer who wants 50 18x18" Dibond signs for beach rental properties. His last ones, which someone else did, faded quickly so he's concerned this time. I know if I have them dome on cast vinyl laminated by the company I use they will last well. I would like to use their direct to substrate method but can't get a clear answer on the longevity. Will they last 3-5 years outdoors? I don't know what printer they use but let's assume it's one of the better new ones.

Edit to add: these will not be laminated.

ikarasu

It all depends on the ink type. Latex un laminated lasts up to 3 years. It's probably uv, which is around the same time. It also depends on how much sunlight you get.... Since they're beach properties they're probably getting a lot of sun. Suggest they get laminated, it'll make them last up to 5-7 years depending on ink type.

equippaint

Go with what you know will last. I doubt the customer will care to spend a few more dollars today so he doesnt have to do this again in a year or 2. Most of the direct printed stuff ive seen lasts about 2 years but we dont do it so maybe there are shortcuts companies use that cut the lifespan and increase profit? Be interesting to hear more?

Signchief

Ink fades faster when its not laminated whether its printed on vinyl or dibond it's gonna fade faster if it's not laminated especially with all the environmental influence you get on the beach. Homes have to be painted more often on the beach for the same reason. Figure out a way to sell them on laminate. The problem will be that they will cost allot more than what they paid last time.

Chuck Peterson

Ink fades faster when its not laminated whether its printed on vinyl or dibond it's gonna fade faster if it's not laminated especially with all the environmental influence you get on the beach. Homes have to be painted more often on the beach for the same reason. Figure out a way to sell them on laminate. The problem will be that they will cost allot more than what they paid last time.

Chuck Peterson

I'll sell them on laminated vinyl. I have not seen enough direct prints out long term to feel comfortable selling it other than short term stuff.

Bly

I'd say 2yrs unlaminated latex or UV, 3 yrs with lam.
Depends on the UV ink but Oce say 2yrs.

Molenbeek

HP FB550/750 has an expected outdoor life without lamination for DiBond at 3.5 years. it all depends on individual UV ink and substrate. HP has some of the best adhesion and life out there in the >$150,000 category.