• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

directions!?

VitalSignsInc

Hey everyone young gun here =]. So I got my start here at Vital because my dad owns the place and i needed a first job started with sweeping and minor weeding and in 3 yrs i am running production and design now. Well now me and my bro are looking at stepping up and take more of the business aspect over. First question having no accounting/money mngt. teachings or bussiness mngt. do i go and look at some college courses or what is this something learned more through experience. granted i will have the old man there to help me the whole way its not like he is just up and leaving. Thought opinions would be greatley appreciated. also off topic how do you guys feel about adding the window tinting business in with the sign i get asked about it constantly

WildWestDesigns

Hey everyone young gun here =]. So I got my start here at Vital because my dad owns the place and i needed a first job started with sweeping and minor weeding and in 3 yrs i am running production and design now. Well now me and my bro are looking at stepping up and take more of the business aspect over. First question having no accounting/money mngt. teachings or bussiness mngt. do i go and look at some college courses or what is this something learned more through experience. granted i will have the old man there to help me the whole way its not like he is just up and leaving. Thought opinions would be greatley appreciated. also off topic how do you guys feel about adding the window tinting business in with the sign i get asked about it constantly

I would look into college courses. Experience helps, but it also helps having that foundation of the correct terms and usage as well as all the who, why, what, where explained. My dad was a wealth of knowledge, but he was a tax/contract lawyer that had a CPA and an LLM in taxation, so I was lucky. Plus the ole ball and chain is a CPA with a major company in the area.

I just think having that formal education helps out a lot. It isn't the end all cure all, but it is a very good place to start. It all depends on what you make of it though.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As a former teacher, I really appreciate your approach to your career. You're leaps and bounds ahead of the other fellas who struggle make their days meaningful.

I'm an "old gun" who's spent the majority of his years in industry. I started my business when I turned 40. And over the past six years, I have been learning business as a "second language".

Take a look at this link: http://fasttrac.org/entrepreneurs/programs/FastTrac-GrowthVenture.aspx

There might be something like this in your area.

The name "FastTrac" says it all. It's a brief, condensed approach to help you become aware of your business surroundings. Typically, the classes run from ten to twelve weeks, and sometimes as short as six weeks...like the one I'm finishing tomorrow. Six weeks is pretty tough, with a lot to comprehend in such a short time.

Also, check around to see if your community has any business consortiums...organizations operated by your state and local governments that assist business owners with training. They usually sponsor free or low cost seminars on various business topics and issues. I try to avail myself of these since they are usually great networking opportunities.

Community colleges are also another resource, but the schedule is more restraining and the emphasis may not focus directly on the issues at hand in your business.

Keep us updated...I've enjoyed watching your progress.

JB

signswi

At minimum enroll in a local 2-year and take some night or remote classes in basic business finance. A lot of it you'll be able to lean on your CPA for but it helps to know what you're talking about.

Most people, most people, make terrible managers, it's really a tough gig and while some of those skills can be taught a lot of it is experience. As you're someone already in the work force enrolling into a 4-year or 4-year+MBA program doesn't make a lot of sense so just read, read, read and read some more. A lot of MBA programs now put up free podcast lectures which is also a great resource if you're serious.