• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dirtbike templates?

ForgeInc

Lookin to wrap my KTM XC-W 300 as well as a new electric dirtbike I'm getting. The new one is so new I know there wont be a template for it, but I am guessing there's gotta be a decent one out there for KTM. Can anyone recommend a site that has decent templates? I see a bunch online but am always leery....Of course I could create one but the time needed just aint worth it!

damonCA21

Eh? Dirtbikes come wrapped...right?
No they come painted ( or gel coat ) with decals, a lot different ! Wrapping bikes is a complete pain due to the shaping of the bodywork. Solid colour wraps can be ok, but printed ones get so distorted they are nearly impossible to get looking good.l

highrolling24

Its really not long to make your own template, take a chunk of paper trace where you want to layout, its not big its a dirtbike, cut it out and I scan mine in, sometimes need to do it in couple pieces but scanned in is the actual size and piece together, make line art for your cut line, create your design and bobs your uncle! I have made a few just because we wanted custom pieces. I get material through substance vinyl for all the bikes, works great never really have a problem. As much time as you put in looking for templates for it you could have it done already.

ForgeInc

No they come painted ( or gel coat ) with decals, a lot different ! Wrapping bikes is a complete pain due to the shaping of the bodywork. Solid colour wraps can be ok, but printed ones get so distorted they are nearly impossible to get looking good.l
That's crazy talk, I have never seen painted dirtbike graphics - or gelcoated coated plastic pieces.

ForgeInc

Its really not long to make your own template, take a chunk of paper trace where you want to layout, its not big its a dirtbike, cut it out and I scan mine in, sometimes need to do it in couple pieces but scanned in is the actual size and piece together, make line art for your cut line, create your design and bobs your uncle! I have made a few just because we wanted custom pieces. I get material through substance vinyl for all the bikes, works great never really have a problem. As much time as you put in looking for templates for it you could have it done already.
Having made a lot of templates, (personally I wrap with tape, then remove tape and re-draw so the curved contours are accurate) it's well $20 to buy one if you need to fix / adjust rather than spending the 3-4 hours to make one for all the pieces necessary. just wondering if someone had any experience with a reputable company...I think I found a good course though, so all is good! :rock-n-roll:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hey! Where is that guy that has this exact business? He was around last week or the week before but I think he hates us now and left the site. Let me look back on my comments, I'll see if I can find him.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This guy...looks like off the site now or I'm blocked.

1707775356122.png

unclebun

You don't wrap dirt bikes. They are made of polyethylene. Wrap material won't stick to them. And they have too many sharp angles and so on. You can't wrap them.

That's why you make graphics for them using carefully made templates so that you can get the graphics onto the plastics so that they fit and stay stuck. The material is vinyl with high strength adhesive for low surface energy materials, and after you print it you laminate it with thick laminate for durability.

I've been manufacturing dirt bike graphics for 23 years and started out making my own templates straight from the bikes with tracing paper and drawing them in the computer myself. You can now buy them online from any number of vendors you can find in a Google search. There's one good one in the US I use and I've used another in UK and another that is in Ukraine I think. Just be careful because some of the places that will come up on your search are obvious scam sites.

But if you think that every form of signage is a wrap, and you are trying to DIY your own graphics, you are probably better off having one of the thousands of internet graphics companies make your graphics.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Substance markets a vinyl for LSE surfaces along with laminates that are specifically marketed as being useful for dirtbikes, motocross and whatnot FWIW. They're also awesome folks to deal with, give them a call. You'll likely wind up with some samples to play with.

damonCA21

I agree with others. 'Wraps' are ok for cars and vans etc... as you are mainly dealing with large flattish areas. On any motorbike there are very little flat surfaces - imagine trying to wrap a tank that is basically an elongated sphere ! Yes, you can wrap odd shaped objects to a degree with a plain colour wrap, but imagine a printed design with straight lines or logos, then trying to stretch that around the curves without distorting the print.
One problem with a lot of the templates is people take a side on pic of a bike and make 2D template based on that without taking into account the curve of the panel, so they never fit properly.

Superior_Adam

I meant the base panels are painted, then the decals are used over the top.
Panels are colored plastic not painted. People wrap them all the time have you seen races where all the bikes are wrapped and have sponsors all over them. Same thing with snowmobiles as well.

unclebun

Panels are colored plastic not painted. People wrap them all the time have you seen races where all the bikes are wrapped and have sponsors all over them. Same thing with snowmobiles as well.
I make some of the graphics you see on the bikes at AMA Pro Supercross and Motocross races on TV. They are not wraps. A wrap would not even survive a single lap on a motocross track.

Superior_Adam

I make some of the graphics you see on the bikes at AMA Pro Supercross and Motocross races on TV. They are not wraps. A wrap would not even survive a single lap on a motocross track.
maybe not full wraps but are still a laminated vinyl decal correct? These are not painted. I know Substance makes a vinyl and thicker lam for motocross applications.