• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Disappointing when good customer doesn't pay...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The name on that sign is the only time I put that sign out. I pulled it back in every night.

It was a local Italian Restaurant (about 6 blocks away) and he went bankrupt about 5 weeks after he opened. He pulled all kindsa shams with insurance companies and just about every company who was working with him to open up. He thought he was clever. He got all this money, work done and free stuff with false claims, but when we filed against him, we went against the business and him personally. It cost us about $ 150. extra, but we were the ONLY people who got our money back...... in full. He ended up going to jail for about 4 years and hadda wear an ankle monitor for 2 more years. We had some other good customers go south on us, too, but it's hard to chase down $1,000 here or $1,500 there. One guy, we went to a sheriff's sale or whatever it was called and we got printers, paper shredders and other stupid stuff. I wanted money, not his useless junk.

Many years ago, I made a vow to collect 50% up front and the balance due when the signs are installed or picked up. Some people say, that's ridiculous and my answer is, maybe it is, but dems da rules. I literally have a 38" Louisville Slugger, right by my door and call it 'The Bill Collector'. People come in and joke about it...... not me. I recently traded the 38" in on a S&W .38.... and everyone knows I carry. I won't kill ya, but you'll limp for a very long time.

There are no laws against doing something like that and that kinda publicity doesn't sit very well with the guilty party.

GREG SEAGRAVES

Just venting...I'm quite disappointed the last couple weeks in a good customer of mine. He's ordered quite a bit from me over the last year. At first, he would pick his orders up and pay CC. Then a couple times he needed "as many shirts as I had done" for the weekend so I would deliver on Friday then the remainder the next week. He would stop in the following week to pay via CC...and then it turned into what I think is a game. "Can you deliver to my house (literally 2 blocks from my shop) and I'll stop in next week and pay?" Then...it would be 1-2 weeks with a reminder email/FB message. So, the last order...same thing..."can you deliver?" Well, it's been 5 weeks now and no payment. I emailed, FB messaged, etc. Three occasions he was to stop in and pay, most recently yesterday...no show. It's uncomfortable to be put in the position of having to call, email, message, etc. There is no way in hell that I could go to his restaurant and run up a $1,000 bill and pay for it 5 weeks later. I actually ate there last week and I was uncomfortable for him! I'm sure he will pay as it's a small town and word spreads fast if I happen to mention anything but geez...just put it on your card if you don't have the cash and don't be a douche bag! Ahhh, that felt good to vent...
Hi I Feel Your Pain For Now Get ALL Your

GREG SEAGRAVES

Just venting...I'm quite disappointed the last couple weeks in a good customer of mine. He's ordered quite a bit from me over the last year. At first, he would pick his orders up and pay CC. Then a couple times he needed "as many shirts as I had done" for the weekend so I would deliver on Friday then the remainder the next week. He would stop in the following week to pay via CC...and then it turned into what I think is a game. "Can you deliver to my house (literally 2 blocks from my shop) and I'll stop in next week and pay?" Then...it would be 1-2 weeks with a reminder email/FB message. So, the last order...same thing..."can you deliver?" Well, it's been 5 weeks now and no payment. I emailed, FB messaged, etc. Three occasions he was to stop in and pay, most recently yesterday...no show. It's uncomfortable to be put in the position of having to call, email, message, etc. There is no way in hell that I could go to his restaurant and run up a $1,000 bill and pay for it 5 weeks later. I actually ate there last week and I was uncomfortable for him! I'm sure he will pay as it's a small town and word spreads fast if I happen to mention anything but geez...just put it on your card if you don't have the cash and don't be a douche bag! Ahhh, that felt good to vent...
For Now Get All Your Money Up Front Tell Him Your On COD !!!!!!!!

GREG SEAGRAVES

Go to his place of work, rack up a decent bill then when they ask you to pay just ignore them or say you’ll get it in a month or two. See how they like it!

Also a huge fan of Gino’s approach but that’ll likely be the last time you get them as a customer lol
WITH CUSTOMERS LIKE THAT THEY ARE THE PEOPLE YOU DO NOT WONT AS A CUSTOMER

E Coloney

He's on his way to sticking you with a big sale that you won't get paid for. Hence forth, always give him a quote and under terms specify PAYMENT IN ADVANCE. If he questions it, tell him your "accountant" demands it (even if YOU are the accountant).

thesignpost

Haha..... that's the whole point. Would you really want them as a customer anymore ?? If I ain't gonna get paid, I'm goin' fishing or something I like to do for free..........

I agree, not really a customer if they're not paying the bill

ddarlak

Go Bills!
You are causing this. By not having a plan you let clients pay when they want to.

When you allow people to trample you, they will sooner than later.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You
You are causing this. By not having a plan you let clients pay when they want to.

When you allow people to trample you, they will sooner than later.
You are right, this is my own fault, I let him slide one too many times and he's taking advantage of that. I almost got burned last Spring so I have been very strict with payment at time of pick-up, deposits, etc and people have been very good about it...I'm not sure why I let him slide. Hopefully paying him a visit will do the trick.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While the OP might've allowed this to go a little too long, this basically happens to everyone, somewhere along the way. According to what kinda volume you do is what's gonna depend on how fast it sinks in. If you're turning out 2 or 3 jobs a week, it might not have a huge effect, but if you have a dozen or more jobs a week going out, you don't have time to track down these deadbeats (good name for it, tex), let alone have possibly $100s or even $1,000s laying around out there that belong to you..... NOW !!

Johnny Best

You

You are right, this is my own fault, I let him slide one too many times and he's taking advantage of that. I almost got burned last Spring so I have been very strict with payment at time of pick-up, deposits, etc and people have been very good about it...I'm not sure why I let him slide. Hopefully paying him a visit will do the trick.

Don't let someone make you feel guilty about this, your the victim of someone who knows how to play the game of not paying on time. Like everyone on this site it has happen to us. Maybe not in the same circumstances but it has happened. After being in business for awhile you will figure out how to overcome this obstacle by some of the suggestions people have given you.
But do not cower to him when you see him again, buck up and tell him how you feel and demand what he owes you. He will try it again if you let him.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Don't let someone make you feel guilty about this, your the victim of someone who knows how to play the game of not paying on time. Like everyone on this site it has happen to us. Maybe not in the same circumstances but it has happened. After being in business for awhile you will figure out how to overcome this obstacle by some of the suggestions people have given you.
But do not cower to him when you see him again, buck up and tell him how you feel and demand what he owes you. He will try it again if you let him

Not trying to make anyone feel anything, just pointing out the obvious. If you are taken advantage of, find out why and fix it.

Johnny Best

Not trying to make anyone feel anything, just pointing out the obvious. If you are taken advantage of, find out why and fix it.

ddarlak: you missed your calling, you would have been a good lawyer in domestic violence and rape cases for the accused.

Stacey K

I like making signs
UPDATE: I just got back from paying him a visit...

Him: Hi there
Me: Hi (handed him the invoice)
Him: Oh ya, I'll get that check right out to you in the mail.
Me: No, I'll take payment now.
Him: (goes to back room and brings the check out) Thank you
Me: Thank you!
Me: (drive to bank and cash check - clears - we have the same bank, there was enough in his account)

Gino: Another happy ending

LOL

JR's

Good for you Stacy,
this is something that I have a very hard time with. And I still get stuck every once in a while
with a client that is slow to pay.

It takes a lot of guts to go in there and ask for payment.

I bet you was stoked like crazy driving to the bank.