• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Discoloring

JeffM

Using 3m 680 and getting some discoloring in yellow. Any thoughts?
a pic.jpg

BigNate

are you looking at the blotch on the lower left of the yellow? if so, it is not just the yellow, the line continues through the blue too... looks like some kind of contamination, either working through from something on the surface, or something that was spilled and wiped on the outside. (though I am leaning toward a trace of a volatile chemical on the surface before application - from the pic. there is not really enough data to be certain.... any more pics? how was the surface prepped before the install?)

Solvent ink or latex? Was it fully cured when it came out of the printer? I had a print recently that was uneven on heavy coverage, think the heater is going out on the HP570 as it did on the 370. I'm going to lower the saturation because I set it pretty high at 110.

JeffM

are you looking at the blotch on the lower left of the yellow? if so, it is not just the yellow, the line continues through the blue too... looks like some kind of contamination, either working through from something on the surface, or something that was spilled and wiped on the outside. (though I am leaning toward a trace of a volatile chemical on the surface before application - from the pic. there is not really enough data to be certain.... any more pics? how was the surface prepped before the install
Surface was prepped with a de-waxer, water and 99% alcohol.
Solvent ink or latex? Was it fully cured when it came out of the printer? I had a print recently that was uneven on heavy coverage, think the heater is going out on the HP570 as it did on the 370. I'm going to lower the saturation because I set it pretty high at 110.
Solvent done on a Roland vg2. I let it gas for about 48 hours before laminating it.

BigNate

well, I would chance to guess that when the alcohol evaporated there was some wax or grease still dissolved in it... for me the pattern looks almost like a cloth wipe on the surface before install.... you can see the "wax on" swipes of a rag making the edge of the discoloration area (again, big stretch as there is not enough data in the pic to know for sure.) - at least the scalloped edges of the blotch seem to match a right-handed wiping from the upper-left to the lower-right.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Looks like an install error to me honestly. Reflective can bruise pretty easily and too much heat can cause discoloration.