Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discounted Adobe Illy cs3

Discussion in 'Corel' started by curtrnev, Jun 5, 2008.

1. curtrnev

curtrnev Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
    Tags:
  2. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    link???

3. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    k i found it....you can also upgrade photoshop from photoshop elements for $199.99

edit: its still $549.99 to upgrade from elements

4. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  5. curtrnev

curtrnev Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Fold up 3D looks pretty cool.

6. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
  7. Goatboy

Goatboy Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Never understood why Adobe folks peruse here...only thing CS3 is good for is to save and disable compression. Spent 5000+ so some lazy firm cat doesnt have to be told for the 15th time to to convert to outlines, provide linked tiffs, and dis-able compression. And mind you one of the people I look up to most for realizism uses Adobe and a Mac...sigh...google Bert Monroy sometime

8. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    5000 what?

9. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Here is a link to a FREE program that a friend of mine told me about last night. Not sure how good or bad it is as I have not used it yet but you can download it FREE.

http://www.gimp.org/

10. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I think he means 5000 bucks... i have had crappy Corel files too, idiotic production files are not exclusive to Adobe users

Seems like we can't answer certain questions being asked in the Corel forum... even though some of use Illy users are Corel users too... just answering questions.. never stated which was better.

11. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    oh... I thought he mean 5000 dimes, as that's a lot closer to what I had to pay for CS3

12. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Maybe it is 5000 dimes....I spent around 73,000 nickels for all my Adobe Suite, Corel and upgrades through the years...

13. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    Personally I would like to hear from Illy users here, I would be interested to hear what they believe is better in Illy than Corel. I have had both and took off Illy because it couldn't hold a candle to Corel - granted that was sometime ago and obviously Illy has improved but so has Draw. I suspect Illy being an 'industry standard' is more to do with history rather than functionality/features and ease of use.
    I am not knocking Illy or Adobe in general but I can't help but feel that they are just a little overated and if you were to compare price then overpriced as well. I am speaking as a general signmaker and typesetter, small business.
    Discuss.
    Alan D

14. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    This topic's been beat to death for years... use the search tool.

In my opinion, nobody whose worth listening to says illy's "better"anyway... which I guess says something about what I think of your opinion...

...in fact, if you're looking for someone to spend their time going down a list of feature after feature typing up some complex comparison...

...how about you go first :cool:

15. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    I was thinking more of an uptodate comment on how different users use it/them within their particular workflow rather than a general comparison but thanks for you invaluable help anyway, it gives me an insight on what to expect when I ask a genuine question.
    Alan D

16. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I use both but prefer Illustrator over Corel. Corel left a real bad taste in my mouth with it's color management in the early days, as well as continual RIP problems. I am sure these have been addressed, but Corel will never be my main design program, although it has some features and tools (just like any other program) that work better just as Illy has some things that have it going on over Corel.

I just use whatever tool's best for the job. Kind of like a carpenter. Wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.

17. SuperSignsMP

SuperSignsMP Member

May 17, 2007
    I just called and placed an order for 1 version. The sales rep told me that you can do this for every copy of corel that you have. All you need is the corel serial number to unlock the CS3. Seems like a pretty good deal, the cheapest oem version of CS3 I have found was $299, and this is coming straight from Adobe.

18. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    I received a copy about a week ago,they didn't ask for any serial #'s It loaded without any corel #'s. Nice upgrade especially from ver.8 that I had.

19. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

Illustrator VS Corel....

beating a dead horse....

20. SuperSignsMP

SuperSignsMP Member

May 17, 2007

Maybe, but it will save me a lot of time when a customer sends an .ai that is a version that I can't open. I have to call and ask them and ask them to dumb it down to a version 10.