• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion: RIP that calculates vinyl cutting time

Custom_Grafx

So, the laser machine has a feature which I am sure can be applied to a vinyl cutting machine, ie, my roland vs.

You send a job to the laser, push a button to simulate job time, and in 20 seconds, it tells you how long the job will take. I was a little careful with this, thinking it may not be so accurate, as I use the info for quoting.

It is VERY accurate.

Now... I'm thinking why this type of feature isn't in VW... and should it be?

The next question which comes to mind is, is there another RIP out there which does already do this?

I don't see what's so difficult about it. The RIP already knows what speed it's travelling at. It also has the ability to communicate with the machine to grab feed travel rates etc to make the calculation, AND it knows what sequence it will be cutting in. What more info does VW need in order to make this calculation, is beyond me.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter? I am more than certain that it has been discussed/considered by manufacturers, I am just curious to know why it has never been implemented (on VW anyway).

CanuckSigns

I would suspect it's like a lot of things that VersaWorks could (or should I say SHOULD) do..... it would just be too much work on their part. Just like improving nesting/repeats/the program in general. I guess that's what you get for a free RIP program....even when you consider it's made to run equipment that starts at $20k.

Sorry about the mini-rant but Versaworks really pisses me off sometimes!

:goodpost: