• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Disgusted with Roland cutting.....

thesignguy1986

Okay guys so I've written a couple posts on here about my Roland and for the most part got anything needing fixed taken care of and fantastic. Problem I am having is still the Versacamm VP 540 I won't cut very well at all. For example I did 114 stickers roughly 2" x 3" with a nice white outside contour cut and yet it will not track correct for anything. By the time it is done with the 5 or 6 columns I have a white edge that starts perfect and ends up on the edge of actual print. I have done the calibration and even called a tech over phone to make sure I was doing it right. The wheels are fine, the metal roller is fine so what am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I understand doing a 10' print and cut may not be suggested but I would think I can get atleast 4 or 5', right? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am currently flustered and don't want to have a stroke in the process lol.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a lota jockeying back and forth for most cutters. Try running two rows up at a time and see if it corrects itself. If no problem go to a third or fourth row, but not 5' of 3" increments. That's hundreds of four sided cuts which have to remain aligned perfectly. It's not new and needs some TLC to continue.

Even someone getting a new knee replacement has certain restrictions if up in years.

thesignguy1986

Good idea Gino....I will try that my only concern is I tend to do 500-1000 stickers of 1 type quite often and my concern isn't just that but what if I need to do lets say a 3' x 6' van layout and contour cut it I am worried that even letters and such wouldn't track well enough. I guess I'll just have to play with it a little more just though it would cut a little better. I may just purchase a Summa to have anyways but we will see. Thanks again for tip

Malkin

Not sure how to fix your issue, but it should be possible... I know the manual has some suggestions on how to bring it in line.

I have a 5 year old VP540 and routinely do large runs print/lam/cut. Even some 12 footers that stayed within a 1/8" tolerance. Nearly every job in the 4 to 6 foot range will be less than 1/16 off. Large amounts of small decals or just some big things.

Best of luck,

thesignguy1986

Not sure how to fix your issue, but it should be possible... I know the manual has some suggestions on how to bring it in line.

I have a 5 year old VP540 and routinely do large runs print/lam/cut. Even some 12 footers that stayed within a 1/8" tolerance. Nearly every job in the 4 to 6 foot range will be less than 1/16 off. Large amounts of small decals or just some big things.

Best of luck,
Do you find it a lot better with registration marks? I don't use them but just did a 3 line section and it was still off. Please let me know and thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you're printing and it goes back on it's own to contourcut them all. Do you have ALL tension off the roll in the back ?? No tension while printing or cutting ?? This means more than you may think.

Malkin

Do you find it a lot better with registration marks? I don't use them but just did a 3 line section and it was still off. Please let me know and thanks

I use registration marks (the print/cut alignment ones / 4 circles at the corners) anytime I am laminating OR any time there is a full bleed (because of edge curling/shrinking issues when not allowed to dry overnight)
It's only rarely that I do a print/cut without taking the sheet out in-between, but when that happens the cut tolerance is actually slightly better, but only by micrometers.

If you are not having the machine do the print & cut at once, then you have to use the marks.

thesignguy1986

Did a print and cut adjustment this morning actually. I called Nazdar and spoke to the tech over the phone to make sure that it was done properly which it was but I'm still getting that slight miss. I mean the machine is wonderful don't get me wrong but for some reason it just won't cut well. Wheels and everything are mint that is why I'm so confused. I recently came from a Mimaki printer and separate cutter (cg 130 fx ) and it was fantastic. I could honestly cut 400-500 3" x 3" square or whatever without a problem. My wondering is I only have 2 pinch rollers on the machine. 1 at each end, would adding a couple help? I wasn't sure because of not knowing if the wheels would mark the print?

njsigns

Have you tried printing the job, then cutting WITHOUT any heat? I always use registration marks because I laminate everything that I print, I ALWAYS turn off the heater for cutting. I've experienced the same scenario you are describing, cutting without the heaters I'd say 99% of my jobs are spot on, but I always leave a bleed just in case.

Gene

klingsdesigns

All of these are really good. I have the same problem. I know when cutting with the heater the vinyl seems to move a little bit from being stretchy with the heat. Adding more Rollers HELPS A TON!!!!!!!!! Especially for long runs. For my vinyl i always print lam then put back in machine and use registration. For my t-shirt material i print then cut. Make sure it is calibrated, blade good, cutting strip good, rollers and heat off. You kind of have to play with machine to figure it out.. I know even if my blades get dull they pull a little bit and end up slightly off.

I try and print 4 - 5 ft sections seems best. I have done 14 ft before for partial wraps on vehicles but i dont like to do that.

phototec

Yes, using all the pinch rollers helps. I only use them all when cutting laminated decals.... I don't like them going over my unprotected prints.

Another thing (workaround really), learn to use "custom cut" in the size setting in VW. Find your happy place, where you know you can print without it walking, and make that your "sheet" size.

This way it prints that section, goes back and cuts (even sheet cuts if you want) then starts up and prints and then cuts the next batch. I've printed/cut full rolls overnight like this and you come in the morning to find a nice pile of sheets waiting for you.

This trick is honestly the best thing I've ever learned at a seminar - when the Roland guy told us about that I was amazed.

Works for print then cut, as well as print, laminate cut.

If you need more explanation on how to set it up just ask and I'll try to explain in detail. :thumb:

:goodpost:

Hi Pat,

I for one would like to have you explain your "Custom Cut" trick in detail, you said to ask and you would explain in detail.

:thankyou:

Wheeler

Might try cleaning the encoder strip, I have read if it gets dirty it wont cut right.. I have the same problem on large sections.

thesignguy1986

Attatched pic from this morning....

Just cut some words out all 3" - 5" tall and awful results. Please remember this is calibrated correctly and with EPS I have set the margin to .25 so that should fix as well and then boom a 38" x 49" section of lettering if more then a 1/4" off. I normally can fix most things, I normally don't get to upset but this is terrible. I can't even do print and cut with this kind of work. Now after seeing this any tips not mentioned as I've tried them all would be appreciated.

Attachments

• off curt.jpg
    off curt.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 96

klingsdesigns

What program are you using to set up your cut line. Also, how big of an area did you print them words this morning. I can try using a different software and send you a file and see if it makes a difference.. that is WAY off though.

thesignguy1986

What program are you using to set up your cut line. Also, how big of an area did you print them words this morning. I can try using a different software and send you a file and see if it makes a difference.. that is WAY off though.
I use Flexi 8.1 and save as an EPS. I make sure I have margins set for it too. The area of this was like 32" x 48". With it being just words it shouldn't have any problem cutting that, right? IDK I just know this is going to make me a lot happier to be golfing today then to be in the shop lol

thesignguy1986

So after everything is said and done I am going to add 2 more pinch rollers to my machine. I just put in a 30 inch roll of material instead of 54" and cut about 100 2" x " shield stickers out and cut perfect. I was told when I purchased the printer there was only 1 roller at each end and it would be fine but after making sure everything is correct and clean and the last test I am assuming it has to be the wheels needing added help. Will let you all know how it goes when they get here tomorrow. Thanks for everyones tips and help

rjssigns

Using the sheet cut function does not guarantee a straight edge. Just a straight cut across potentially skewed vinyl.
One thing I've noticed with mine is the crop marks are not the same distance apart. They've been off as much as 4mm. Had a full run like that. So I figured I'd skew it that much when loading since I had nothing to lose at that point. It worked. In a nutshell: Measure your crop marks on both sides along the length of the print.
It doesn't happen all the time, but now I look for it.

That phrase in the manual that it "compensates for skew" is a bunch of BS. I proved it time and again with my crop marks deal. If it compensated for skew it would take care of my 4mm offset, no?!
Also, how is it possible without independently driven rollers on each end?

It would take two motors and some sophisticated controls to do it correctly. I know I used to build web guides for presses. Different method, but the basics apply.

thesignguy1986

Everything on machine is very mint condition wise. I spoke with a roland tech and even though a buddy who is a roland tech told me 2 pinch rollers were fine the Roland Tech from Roland itself said I needed 1 in the middle. I did do a test print of 30" material by like 5' and it tracked true. So I'm assuming since I only have rollers at each end it is to much to ask to track 54" x 3-4 or 5'. We will know tomorrow when my new assembly comes in.

Jack Knight1979

Definitely need more rollers. I run 150' rolls of cutting on my GX500 (54" cutter). The cutter has three pinch rollers. I'm thinking of adding two more because it can walk with three. That said. I successfully cut 150" rolls of printed stickers (printed on my soljet) often, so you are on the right track.