Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Disinfectants suitable for laminated graphics

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jeffdpia, Mar 17, 2020.

1. jeffdpia

jeffdpia Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Dulles, va
    We do work for exhibits and museums who are now in the process of disinfecting their spaces. Does anyone know what is safe vs. what is not to be used. Some calls have come in about the use of Clorox 360 which has the following components;
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    Quaternary ammonium compounds, C12-18-alkyl[(ethylphenyl)methyl]dimethyl,
    Quaternary ammonium compounds, C12-14-alkyl[(ethylphenyl)methyl]dimethyl, chlorides

They wish to use this on all laminated graphics and acrylic faced graphics.
    Uncharted territory to be sure
    All replies are welcome for suitable safe disinfectants to be used on graphics (not direct print)

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    No clue. Maybe do some testing. I had to test material for resistance to a specific hydrocarbon. Took samples of the various materials to the clients lab with and without laminate, submerged them, set a timer and waited.
    Could do the same thing with various disinfectants.
    IIRC Lysol spray is supposed to work on various corona bugs.

3. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    It would probably have some dependency on the specific laminate, so any testing should be done with your laminate. I would also advise the customer that the products have not been tested long term with any disinfectants. Alcohol may have been tested by the manufacturer though. I would check the data sheets.

Stay safe

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Couldn't they just use alcohol? I suppose in a museum people are more likely to finger the prints up, but alcohol takes most things off. I've never known it to foul up my laminate.
    Man, you get all the off the wall jobs!