• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Display errors in Flexi 8.1

choucove

Greetings all.

I have been having a strange error with FlexiPRO v8.1 on our workstations lately and was hoping some of you might know what could cause it. We tried contacting their customer support but got no other reply other than, "It shouldn't be our software."

We have two workstations with PRO installed, one a dual-core AMD Opteron based system with Windows XP Pro x64 and a PNY Quadro FX1700 video card. The second is an Intel Core2Duo based system with Windows XP Pro x32 and a PNY Quadro FX560 video card. When working with random files, the Flexi workspace will just freeze up and you are not able to click and select or move or change any elements. However, the program seems to continue running fine as you can save your work and close. Selecting to redraw the screen does nothing. Other programs continue to work fine in the background, but you are unable to minimize Flexi. And there are no error messages reported with the problem.

My original suspicion was that there was a video compatibility error between Flexi and the PNY Quadro FX1700 since it is a new DirectX 10 card. But we began seeing the same errors on the PNY Quadro FX560 card, which is still only DirectX 9. We have another workstation with a PNY Quadro FX570 card (DirectX 10 as well) running FlexiEXPERT that has not experienced this same problem, so I for now must assume it is only a problem with FlexiPRO.

Thank you all for your time and assistance, this has really become quite a common irritating bug and I just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this or knows the cause or a fix!

mbarden

Are you running the 64 Bit XP Pro? If so I believe Flexi is not rated for the OS. That could be your problem. Also if that 's the case that gives SAi an out because it is a non supported OS.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

zmatalucci

Dude, why are you complaining? You only spent thousands of dollars on this program, and you expect it to run without a hitch?

Seriously, Flexi has some serious issues to work out. I too am running flexi8, and find that I have to clear preferences, or abort an un-responsive program at least twice a month.

choucove

Indeed, one workstation is running the 64-bit edition of Windows XP Pro, but the other is only running the standard 32-bit XP Pro so I am taking the assumption then that it is not based on the OS. And unfortunately this problem has become more and more frequent lately, such as happening twice or even three times a week. I would think it's possibly a driver issue with the nVidia Quadro FX cards, but we've had FlexiPRO running on that Quadro FX560 for over a year now and the problems didn't begin to arise until the beginning of this month.

With this and numerous other problems we have had (not to mention the incredible cost) with Flexi we're beginning to search around for other software that can do the tasks, but I'm still just trying to find what's out there for options.

Again thank you all for your response and your help it really is appreciated!

Steve Rife

We have another workstation with a PNY Quadro FX570 card (DirectX 10 as well) running FlexiEXPERT that has not experienced this same problem, so I for now must assume it is only a problem with FlexiPRO.

Hello Choucove,
In your original post you mentioned that this problem began recently. Has anything occurred, or did you install any additional software to these systems around the time this issue began? AV software? personal firewall? etc. Does the FlexiEXPERT system have the same programs installed as the other 2?

From a software standpoint there is no difference between FlexiSIGN PRO and FlexiEXPERT outside of the added features you acquire. You can run a simple test by installing the FlexiSIGN PRO on the above workstation you mentioned that functions correctly with FlexiEXPERT (in a separate directly so not to disrupt any further production from your company) to see if you receive the same error as the other 2 stations.

If the error occurs, we may want to investigate individual job related issues. Do you use the same files in FlexiSIGN PRO as you do with FlexiEXPERT? Are they small enough you can email me a sample to the address in my signature below?

If not, then a system to system comparison will help determine where the problem lies. An easy way of doing this without having to uninstall programs is go to the Processes tab of Ctl-Alt-Delete you can see a list of all programs currently running on the system (...like firefox.exe for Mozilla Firefox) Write down and end any process that doesn't match the system that does work, and run FlexiSIGN PRO. If the problem is eliminated on the trouble system, reboot the computer to enable the processes again, and with your written list begin narrowing down each process until you find the one that is causing the issue. You can then evaluate if that program is necessary in your production environment.

I know there is a lot of information here, but I hope this will shed some light on your problem. :smile:

Best regards,<o:p></o:p>
Steve<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Steven E. Rife<o:p></o:p>
Product Manager, FlexiFAMILY<o:p></o:p>
SA International<o:p></o:p>
----------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
2 International Plaza, Suite 625<o:p></o:p>
Philadelphia, PA 19113 USA<o:p></o:p>
+1 484 498 9021 (phone)<o:p></o:p>
+1 610 521 0111 (fax)<o:p></o:p>
StevenR@SAIntl.biz<o:p></o:p>
www.SAIntl.biz<o:p></o:p>

choucove

Steve, thank you so very much for your time and help!

It's a bit of a confusing story about when the errors began to happen. Our main design station was the Core 2 Duo based system running Windows XP 32-bit and we purchased a brand new computer to run as the main design station. We simply transfered the original Core 2 Duo based system over to a new user and reinstalled Windows 32-bit and a fresh installation of the required design software. The new main design workstation was the AMD Opteron based system and came with Windows XP Pro 64-bit but I went through and reinstalled the Windows to be sure it was a clean installation and to be sure only the needed software was installed. Both systems have the same software installed then, and have been running fine since Christmas until just this month. I tried to remedy the problem originally by reformatting and reinstalling Windows and all software on the 32-bit Windows system, but from what I have heard the problem is still persisting.

We do have the same jobs opened in both the FlexiPRO and FlexiEXPERT as all of our cutting is done from the workstation with FlexiEXPERT. We have not tried installing and running FlexiPRO on this workstation, but I will try and see if it has the same issues. They are varied files in size and complexity that cause this error. The designer mentioned it happening even with brand new files with only a few letters. I will see if he has a file he might be able to email to you that he knows had an error during it's use.

I will have to try the steps you suggested once I can get back there to work on the computers. It has just been quite confusing that the system would start having these errors after running without such errors for a couple months. In fact, the Core 2 Duo based system has the exact same software and hardware it has had running on it even before the new computer switch out, for over a year now, without this same issue.

Thanks again for all your advice!

grafxxx

what type of random files where you working on? with my experience flexi will crash. when i try to vectorize a large or complicated picture. or when working with fixing the nodes. or if i have too many pictures in one file. i'm so used to crashing it's not even a problem to me... i just made sure that i have my auto save on....

choucove

From what I have heard, it is completely random. It has had the crashing errors when working in some larger files, yes, but it has also had the problems in some brand new very small and simple files with just a little bit of text or shapes in it. The designer said it's happened with just a different assortment of files but even in very small files. I'm not sure on the specifics of what they have in the workspace or what they have been doing right before it froze, I will try and ask them for more details.

CommSign

Screen freeze - program still running in background

Steve

I've been reading through the thread and I appreciate your help. I'm the one on the workstation and I've been keeping a log of the problems and glitches we've had since the new computer was put in place.

The problems first appeared on 1/30. The file I was working on was a hospital sign system file and so I had about 15 jpg files with small sign mockups overlayed. I was using the zoom tool and the screen went static. Nothing I tried worked so I thought I crashed it - no big deal - it happens - life goes on.

But then before I closed it I tried a selection box around one of the items and the screen redrew in the selection box. The program was still running just fine in the background, but the screen froze. The only thing that would redraw it was a selection box.

The next crash was on 1/31. This was a complete crash to a blue screen with no chance to save anything. Restarted - ten minutes later - screen refresh problem. Twenty minutes later - screen freeze problem. Three hours later - screen refresh problem - all on the same hospital file

2/7 - Same file - screen freeze.
2/8 - same story
2/8 Windows - virtual memory error message - Minimum set too low. (recurrng message since computer was installed - checked memory and should be good.
2/8 - Screen crash - when print button pushed
2/8 - screen crash again - send to print
2/20 - screen crash again - different file - this file has all vector images, just shapes and text. Very small simple file.

It has happened several times since - without any kind of a pattern that I can pick up on.

I haven't tried to look at the performance screen to see what is running yet, but I'll try it when it does it again.

Thanks for your help

Leon

Todd Jelle

Hello Choucove,
In your original post you mentioned that this problem began recently. Has anything occurred, or did you install any additional software to these systems around the time this issue began? AV software? personal firewall? etc. Does the FlexiEXPERT system have the same programs installed as the other 2?

From a software standpoint there is no difference between FlexiSIGN PRO and FlexiEXPERT outside of the added features you acquire. You can run a simple test by installing the FlexiSIGN PRO on the above workstation you mentioned that functions correctly with FlexiEXPERT (in a separate directly so not to disrupt any further production from your company) to see if you receive the same error as the other 2 stations.

If the error occurs, we may want to investigate individual job related issues. Do you use the same files in FlexiSIGN PRO as you do with FlexiEXPERT? Are they small enough you can email me a sample to the address in my signature below?

If not, then a system to system comparison will help determine where the problem lies. An easy way of doing this without having to uninstall programs is go to the Processes tab of Ctl-Alt-Delete you can see a list of all programs currently running on the system (...like firefox.exe for Mozilla Firefox) Write down and end any process that doesn't match the system that does work, and run FlexiSIGN PRO. If the problem is eliminated on the trouble system, reboot the computer to enable the processes again, and with your written list begin narrowing down each process until you find the one that is causing the issue. You can then evaluate if that program is necessary in your production environment.

I know there is a lot of information here, but I hope this will shed some light on your problem. :smile:

Best regards,<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
Steve<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Steven E. Rife<o:p></o:p>
Product Manager, FlexiFAMILY<o:p></o:p>
SA International<o:p></o:p>
----------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
2 International Plaza, Suite 625<o:p></o:p>
Philadelphia, PA 19113 USA<o:p></o:p>
+1 484 498 9021 (phone)<o:p></o:p>
+1 610 521 0111 (fax)<o:p></o:p>
StevenR@SAIntl.biz<o:p></o:p>
[URL="http://www.SAIntl.biz"]www.SAIntl.biz<o:p></o:p>[/URL]
Sorry to thread crash....
I have the same sort of issues running 7.6 v2 (both pro & expert)
I have 8 but haven't installed it do to fear it wont be any better as past experiences have shown.
And now this seems to be well founded as users of 8 are having problems. Search this forum....
Freezing up seems to be what it likes to do best.
On several occasions I've found it suddenly starts running extremely slow while node editing on random files. This has to be the most annoying things I've ever experienced. I'm talking 30 seconds or more for a single node command. This has happened on extremely simple graphics as well as complicated ones. It seems to be "file specific" as often it takes literally recreating the file to clear it up. On a few occasions I've seen it be related to "specific to colors" in some of flexi color palattes, but not always.
At such time other application are fine & the computers resources are fine!
In production manager while cutting vinyl, Ive had error messages that says "unnamed file or command cannot be found" only later to find out it doesnt recognise colors in the library, therefore wont cut that color.
Talk about a wild goose chase only to find out it doesn't recognise its own color libraries.
On numerous occasions, I've also experienced design central locking the program while trying to modify an outline or outline color. The only way to get it unfrozen is to alt tab to another application then back again & its as if nothing was ever wrong...weird!
There are 3 users in my shop & we all have found various issues with the software.
At times I've told them it was them until I experienced it for myself!
I don't understand why I pay for upgrades to a company who never addresses problems they should be well aware of after so many years!
Oh while I'm at it, why can't we add fonts on the fly (without restarting the application?.... coerl draw has done this for years? You would think "A SIGN PROGRAM WOULD ADOPT THIS FEATURE"
Sign people use FONTS....
Yet, they still release new upgrades without ever addressing those problems!
All I'm told is I need to buy the new upgrade & everything will be fine!
I've heard enough of this...
I would appreciate some explanations
Thank You
Todd Jelle

Last edited: