• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Disposal of "empty" ink containers

MarkH42

We have an HP FB550 but I suppose this question is the same for any UV flatbed. Where do you dispose of your "empty" ink containers? Sometimes our ink boxes are truly empty, but other times, they have a little bit of ink left in the box. Is it safe/legal to put these in the dumpster? Take it to the landfill? Call Safety Kleen? I appreciate the help!

Andy D

When we had to dispose of gallons of waste ink, we always had a hazardous materials disposal company leave a 50 gallon barrel and called them when it was filled.
With paint, most states are okay with you adding kitty litter, so it doesn't seep.
Stickly speaking, I doubt just throwing your ink cartridges in the trash is EPA approved, but it is how most people dispose of them.

AlsEU

Check in the MSDS card, there's a section about waste disposal. You'll find information there - usually ink containers are treated as uncured ink and should be utilised by a special company.

AllStarNow

We called one company and were left waiting for months to get a quote, might be the one you mentioned in your post OP. We called another company and they brought out a couple of drums; one for waste ink, one for the bladders a couple weeks later.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Our local city sanitation department does a free drop off once a year of hazardous waste.
So we bring them 10 to 15 gallons of waste ink.
But I like the kitty litter idea.