Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disposal of "empty" ink containers

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by MarkH42, Apr 7, 2021.

1. MarkH42

MarkH42 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    We have an HP FB550 but I suppose this question is the same for any UV flatbed. Where do you dispose of your "empty" ink containers? Sometimes our ink boxes are truly empty, but other times, they have a little bit of ink left in the box. Is it safe/legal to put these in the dumpster? Take it to the landfill? Call Safety Kleen? I appreciate the help!

Tags:
  2. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    When we had to dispose of gallons of waste ink, we always had a hazardous materials disposal company leave a 50 gallon barrel and called them when it was filled.
    With paint, most states are okay with you adding kitty litter, so it doesn't seep.
    Stickly speaking, I doubt just throwing your ink cartridges in the trash is EPA approved, but it is how most people dispose of them.

3. AlsEU

AlsEU Member

Jul 16, 2014
    European Union
    Check in the MSDS card, there's a section about waste disposal. You'll find information there - usually ink containers are treated as uncured ink and should be utilised by a special company.

4. AllStarNow

AllStarNow New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lafayette, La
    We called one company and were left waiting for months to get a quote, might be the one you mentioned in your post OP. We called another company and they brought out a couple of drums; one for waste ink, one for the bladders a couple weeks later.

5. Joseph44708

Joseph44708 Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Florida
    Our local city sanitation department does a free drop off once a year of hazardous waste.
    So we bring them 10 to 15 gallons of waste ink.
    But I like the kitty litter idea.