• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Disposal of Mimaki waste ink

FPM_Graphics

Good day all,

Just interested in hearing the different ways you guys dispose of the waste ink from your machines?

Regards
Jonesy

Letterbox Mike

Get a "big mouth" plastic tub of kitty litter. Pour the waste ink in. Set outside in the sun for a few days to allow it to dry up. Put the lid on and throw it away. Dunno if that's technically legal, but our dealer told us to do it that way and according to them as long as the ink has dried it's fine...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just pour it down a convenient rodent hole in the south forty. If I didn't have a south forty, I'd pour it down any convenient drain or put it in a Cool Whip container or a plastic milk jug, snap on a lid, and put it out with the trash. The very thought of this probably causes environmental loons to soil themselves, a situation not without a certain charm of its own, but no matter what I did with it, it wouldn't have any effect on the course of history. Just dump it, it won't have any effect on anything.

andy

What you want is contamination of the local water supply.... you could take the direct approach and simply pour your waste straight into the local lake or river.... but Bob's hole in the ground approach will work just as well. After being washed through the top soil by rain water Bob's chemical cordial will seep nicely into an aquifer or the local water table allowing all your friends and family to recycle the ink via their kidneys and body tissue.

Seriously, treat waste ink as what it is... a blend of chemicals which need disposal. Contact your local council and ask about their waste collection service or contact the relevant government department and ask for advice... they will normally collect and dispose of the waste safely for a small fee.

What Bob is suggesting is COMPLETELY illegal in Europe so anyone in this part of the world contemplating dumping cr@p down the drain or in a hole in the ground needs to forget the idea straight away. You will get caught, you will be prosecuted and you will be fined an epic amount of money and get a nice criminal record to boot.

Everyone thought Asbestos was perfectly harmless.... now this material is considered one of the most dangerous substances on the planet. Who knows how toxic waste ink will prove to be... if you live next door to Bob it might be an idea to move... just to be on the safe side.

iceman64

The waste ink of a solvent printer is chemical waste, so should be treated as such. Put it in a barrel and take it to a chemical waste site.

To those who don't care........ I hope that your children will blame you for poluting the surroundings.

Neil

I'm not joking, this is from a FAQ sheet from Mutoh:

"Q: My waste tank is full. How do I discard the inks?
A: That is the beauty of the Mutoh Eco plus inks. They are ecologically friendly and can be discarded down the drain in most areas. It is strongly recommended however, that you check with your local codes to ensure this is OK for your area."

Whaaatt??:omg2:

Okay I'll check with my local council to see if it's okay to pour the following down the drain...
(This from Mutoh's own MSDS for their eco ultra inks)

Carbon black
Synthetic polymer
Diethylene glycol diethyl ether
Gamma-butyrolactone
Tetraethylene glycol, dimethyl ether
Tetraethylene glycol, monobutyl ether
Additives

Doesn't sound too bad does it??
I'm sure the fish will love it!:omg::omg:

Farmboy

Why not store it in an old paint can? Most towns have a clean up day and will take old paint and discard it properly. Mark the can "solvent paint" someone might scratch their head for a sec, but it will end up where it needs to be.

bob

What you want is contamination of the local water supply.... you could take the direct approach and simply pour your waste straight into the local lake or river.... but Bob's hole in the ground approach will work just as well. After being washed through the top soil by rain water Bob's chemical cordial will seep nicely into an aquifer or the local water table allowing all your friends and family to recycle the ink via their kidneys and body tissue.

Seriously, treat waste ink as what it is... a blend of chemicals which need disposal. Contact your local council and ask about their waste collection service or contact the relevant government department and ask for advice... they will normally collect and dispose of the waste safely for a small fee.

What Bob is suggesting is COMPLETELY illegal in Europe so anyone in this part of the world contemplating dumping cr@p down the drain or in a hole in the ground needs to forget the idea straight away. You will get caught, you will be prosecuted and you will be fined an epic amount of money and get a nice criminal record to boot.

Everyone thought Asbestos was perfectly harmless.... now this material is considered one of the most dangerous substances on the planet. Who knows how toxic waste ink will prove to be... if you live next door to Bob it might be an idea to move... just to be on the safe side.

It's always entertaining when one of the terminally smug chances to drift into these waters.

We're talking about a couple of ounces of waste here sport. You might try to develop a sense of scale about these sorts of things. Something which you're obviously lacking. This planet's a far bigger place than you or your Euro-weenie buddies seem to be able to conceive.

To reiterate: Just dump it into any sufficiently large vessel, it won't have any measurable effect on anything. We're talking an extra drop of water in the Pacific ocean not backing up a tanker truck and unloading a bazillion gallons of nasty liquid waste into your neighborhood water supply.

iSign

It's always entertaining when one of the terminally smug chances to drift into these waters.

We're talking about a couple of ounces of waste here sport. You might try to develop a sense of scale about these sorts of things. Something which you're obviously lacking. This planet's a far bigger place than you or your Euro-weenie buddies seem to be able to conceive.

To reiterate: Just dump it into any sufficiently large vessel, it won't have any measurable effect on anything. We're talking an extra drop of water in the Pacific ocean not backing up a tanker truck and unloading a bazillion gallons of nasty liquid waste into your neighborhood water supply.
ahhhh... actually not "sport"... my Mimaki waste receptacle is about a quart, & I just dumped 2 into my automotive cat litter last week, which you can then multiply by several times a year, times everyone who owns a solvent printer... and true to the nature of multiplication... you end up with more then a couple ounces of waste... so just as poor hygiene is bad for our health in the long run, apathetic assclowns are bad for civilization at large... solvent printers may not destroy the water table... but one irresponsible sign hack could certainly kill someone's pet, if not worse... I wouldn't even wish that on you bob... too bad you can't muster the same respect.

bob

ahhhh... actually not "sport"... my Mimaki waste receptacle is about a quart, & I just dumped 2 into my automotive cat litter last week, which you can then multiply by several times a year, times everyone who owns a solvent printer... and true to the nature of multiplication... you end up with more then a couple ounces of waste... so just as poor hygiene is bad for our health in the long run, apathetic assclowns are bad for civilization at large... solvent printers may not destroy the water table... but one irresponsible sign hack could certainly kill someone's pet, if not worse... I wouldn't even wish that on you bob... too bad you can't muster the same respect.

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a prodigious amount. It's certainly a good thing that specimens such as yourself are up there on that wall to defend us from the forces of darkness. If that much waste ink should fall into the wrong hands it might destroy civilization as we know it. Had I but known the vast volume with which you were having to deal.

Attend... Whether you don a hazardous waste suit and treat the waste ink as if it were so much liquid plutonium or you just pour it down the drain, there will be no measurable difference in anything at all. None, nada, zip, zero.

The entire external reality, including the environment you mistakenly hold to be so delicate, exists only to serve my needs, I do not exist to serve it.

I live here, I do the best I can for me, I take what I figure I need, and I try not to leave too large of a divot. I am not dismayed if I do leave a divot. I try not to take too much or leave an overlarge divot not because of any concern for the environment, I have none, but because I have little interest in managing more than I can use. Only a fool digs a hole deeper than it has to be.

gbarker

I am as concerned about the environment as the next person, well maybe not Bob but the person above him...

We should all keep a few things in mind. Ink is ink. Whether we put it down on vinyl, sell it and make a profit and somehow think that is better than what Bob is saying, we are wrong. It will all eventually have an impact on the environment, small or large only time will tell. There are a few small extra steps we can all take to help preserve what we can for our children. The simple step of dumping your waste ink into a tote of kitty litter, letting it dry and then disposing of it is no different than sending that beautiful print out the door. It's dried ink.

Same thing with paint. Around here it is perfectly fine to toss out old dried paint. Just pop the top off and let it dry out.

In my opinion, The bottom line is there is only so much concern one can offer when in the sign business. We all offer products that will generally last forever in a landfill.

TheSnowman

I wish I was as smart as Bob sometimes...

I just have mine stored up in gallon jugs of application fluid. Waiting till I have a ton of them, and then will dispose of them at a toxic waste day that the city has.

gabagoo

I put mine in 5 gallon empty drums until I figure out who in my City will accept it.

I would NOT be putting this stuff down the drain!!!!!!!!!!!!

scallahan

We contacted a Hazardous Waste disposal company (I think it is SafetyKleen) and purchased a barrel to pour our waste into. When the barrel gets full we call and the haul it off and dispose of it. Also just saw last week that Roland is now taking back empty cartridges for all the Roland inks.

MikePro

my sign shop has a pickup for paint disposal... i just dump mine in the drums with it. Haven't blown anything up yet, so I assume its safe.

cartridges, on the other hand, I haven't found anyone that recycles them... so I just cut them in half, let the ink dry, and toss in the dumpster. apparently, just simply tossing the cartridges in the dumpster is hazardous waste... and up to you if you want to risk getting $$$caught doing so.

J Hill Designs

I think staples will take em for a buck or two each (cartridges) my ink supplier tells me to pour ink into cat litter to soak it up and then toss it...