Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disposing of overflow Eco-Sol Max ink

Discussion in 'Roland' started by CPSigns, Jun 4, 2007.

1. CPSigns

CPSigns New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Sorry if I'm not posting in the right place, but can anyone tell me where/how I should be disposing of the ink that fills up in my overflow ink jar attached to the bottom of my Roland SP-540V? The ink we use is Ecol-Sol Max.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. ignoredthoughts

ignoredthoughts Member

May 31, 2007
    Contact your service provider, they should come and pick it up.

3. Goofball

Goofball Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I don't know if this is the correct way to do it....but I just pour in an old soda bottle and throw it away in my trash.....I'm sure someone will disapprove of this method though.

Bob

4. Todd M Castle

Todd M Castle Member

Feb 4, 2007
    While waiting to find out your state law you can use a tub of cat litter. Just poor it in and it soaks it up. Works great until it gets full. I've not had to deal with where to put it once it gets full yet :biggrin:

5. ignoredthoughts

ignoredthoughts Member

May 31, 2007
    tsk tsk tsk! How Green are you???? not very apparently =P

Do us all a favor and recycle.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We don't have that much, but we pour it into a coffee can and let it dry up. We mix some boggers in with it to help soak it up. We don't wait until the bottle is full. Then we throw the can into the river......

Only kidding.... :Big Laugh We have two days a year when a local company will pick up all hazardous wastes for free. That's where we take it.

7. ignoredthoughts

ignoredthoughts Member

May 31, 2007

My faith in humanity just died a little...

but now it's back =)

8. mediaman

mediaman Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I'd treat it the same as oil-based paint. Your local hazardous waste facility should have no problem properly disposing of it. Do the right thing and leave the planet cleaner than you found it.

9. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

I put mine in a can with old paper towels and dispose of it with the recyclable trash. I mark the can. The Waste Management guy told me they just take it to the dump. We have a very ridged trash program in this state so ....go figure. WM told me to put it with the recycle.

10. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    But, but, I thought Eco-Sol was good for the environment!??
    You mean we can't fertilize the tomatoes with it?
    We can't just flush it?
    But its ECO-SOL!

ECO!

And if you believe that, you'll buy this Gen-yooo-wine Rolex watch!

Most cities have a HAZMAT and recycling yard you can dispose of it through.

11. ignoredthoughts

ignoredthoughts Member

May 31, 2007
    It's not "GOOD" for the envior. but it's not nearly as "BAD" as most ink is say if it were... spilled into a river.

12. TheMattMan

TheMattMan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    My sales rep said it could be poured down the sink.

13. CPSigns

CPSigns New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. I actually got a call back (from a message I left) today from a guy at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (we're in TX) and he said since the ink didn't have anything in it that was hazardous
    --our MSDS sheet says the ingredients are:
    ---Carbon Black/Proprietary Pigment
    ---Dipropylene glycol mono-methyl ether
    ---Proprietary organic materials
    that all we needed to do with it was turn it into a solid (i.e. pour it into cat litter/sawdust/something that would soak it up) and throw it away.

Not sure what other states would say, but that's what they tell us to do in TX.

Thanks again!

14. ignoredthoughts

ignoredthoughts Member

May 31, 2007
    Hrm, neat =) I'll have to remember to check with VA state law and see what they say.

I didn't know that it wasn't hazardous, somethin new every day.

Thanks fellas.

15. Goofball

Goofball Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I forgot to mention in earlier post.....I like to huff on it a couple of weeks before I throw it away....that way I've got all the GOODIE out of it.

Bob

16. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Whatever you do with it, from calling a squad of beings in airtight suits to dumping it on the ground to pouring it down a convenient drain, will have no measurable effect on anything. The probability of using it to destroying civilization as we know it is exactly zero.

Just pour it out somewhere, this is one of those delicious situations where you can aggravate eco-loons and not even come close to changing the course of history.

17. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    It adds a little color to my shops crapper.

18. Goofball

Goofball Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I just colored my hair....my wife's hair.....and my little girls hair with it today....going to hit all the local beauty shops tomorrow and see if they are interested in some of the latest in hair trend technology.

Bob

19. bertex

bertex Member

May 1, 2006
    That's what I do in FL, turn it solid, chuck it in the dumpster. I've dumped one full jar in 20 months??

20. jagsouthern

jagsouthern Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Mobile
    Yeaaaa...at least I don't have to call a plumber to clean out the droppings left by certain employees. I think maybe a nice tie dye collection would be a good use. Why throw it away when we can squeeze some more use from it.