Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ditch the primer when it comes to Extira

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Jul 24, 2012.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Premium Subscriber

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Been playing around with Extira board for a while. We use it in place of most MDO applications.

I was having issues with being able to peel an entire sign like an orange when primed and painted with latex paint.

The primer, and I tried several different flavors (Zinnser, J Cookes, Gripper), just wouldn't bond with the Extira. Here is what did work though, paint straight on the board. The first coat soaks into it a bit, then additional coats bond nicely to that first coat. The paint is so good now I can't even so much as scratch it off.

BTW - If your using water based latex paint, use some soap and water and WASH your Extira first. Sounds weird?, it's not. Extira is composed of resin which can leach minute amounts of oil and this inhibits paint adhesion. Simply washing the board first helps greatly.

Tags:
  2. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Can't say I deal with this stuff much, but this is good to know.

thanks.

3. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I'll second that.

Correction..... I've never used it in my 20 years. Perhaps I'm missing out on something good? About all I know is that its heavy.

4. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    same here, but thanks always good to have a new trick.

5. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Johnny ...the only thing that you are missing is a sore back ... the stuff weighs a ton!