• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ditch the primer when it comes to Extira

SignProPlus-Chip

Been playing around with Extira board for a while. We use it in place of most MDO applications.

I was having issues with being able to peel an entire sign like an orange when primed and painted with latex paint.

The primer, and I tried several different flavors (Zinnser, J Cookes, Gripper), just wouldn't bond with the Extira. Here is what did work though, paint straight on the board. The first coat soaks into it a bit, then additional coats bond nicely to that first coat. The paint is so good now I can't even so much as scratch it off.

BTW - If your using water based latex paint, use some soap and water and WASH your Extira first. Sounds weird?, it's not. Extira is composed of resin which can leach minute amounts of oil and this inhibits paint adhesion. Simply washing the board first helps greatly.