• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DIY Di-Noc?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've got a customer that is looking to give several cabinets/doors a facelift in a retirement home. They are familiar w/ Di-Noc and we may use that for certain areas, but are also looking for more cost-effective options.

With that being said, what have you guys used in the past to make your own? I'm thinking of printing on 3M IJ180cv3 and potentially using a thicker, more abrasion resistant laminate like a 5mil textured lam, but I'm curious what people have used in the past. I don't want to provide an inferior product and I'm fairly sure that even if I used the most expensive vinyl and laminate on the market, it would still come in cheaper than di-noc.

Any thoughts, tips, warnings etc?

Thanks in advance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have 4 patterns of Di-Noc alternatives and the rolls are 48"x98' for only $300, its amazing stuff and is almost impossible to tell the difference!

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We used an 3M IJ160 with a thick textured ("non-slip" I think) laminate for a large wall/floor graphic that was like, wood and organic textures, and it was a decent product:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...aphic-Film-IJ160/?N=5002385+3293953765&rt=rud

(can't find exactly the lam we used)

That being said, I can't imagine why IJ180 wouldn't work, the laminate is probably the important part, like you mentioned. I really enjoyed using the thick laminate, it made the product feel very high quality even though it was just floor vinyl.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We've got a customer that is looking to give several cabinets/doors a facelift in a retirement home. They are familiar w/ Di-Noc and we may use that for certain areas, but are also looking for more cost-effective options.

With that being said, what have you guys used in the past to make your own? I'm thinking of printing on 3M IJ180cv3 and potentially using a thicker, more abrasion resistant laminate like a 5mil textured lam, but I'm curious what people have used in the past. I don't want to provide an inferior product and I'm fairly sure that even if I used the most expensive vinyl and laminate on the market, it would still come in cheaper than di-noc.

Any thoughts, tips, warnings etc?

Thanks in advance.
I did just this for the tops of all our desks in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 193

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have 4 patterns of Di-Noc alternatives and the rolls are 48"x98' for only $300, its amazing stuff and is almost impossible to tell the difference!

Thanks Josh, wish it could be that simple but they're looking for something other than wood grain and shipping/exchange rate/brokerage fees would kill us on a roll like that. Wish I was in the states so we had access to your goodies!

We used an 3M IJ160 with a thick textured ("non-slip" I think) laminate for a large wall/floor graphic that was like, wood and organic textures, and it was a decent product:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...aphic-Film-IJ160/?N=5002385+3293953765&rt=rud

(can't find exactly the lam we used)

That being said, I can't imagine why IJ180 wouldn't work, the laminate is probably the important part, like you mentioned. I really enjoyed using the thick laminate, it made the product feel very high quality even though it was just floor vinyl.

Thanks Kate. Just out of curiosity, how come you guys went with IJ160? Can't say I've worked with the stuff before. Is it just a thicker cast film? I see it's 4mil, but didn't see if it was cast or cal.

I did just this for the tops of all our desks in the shop.

That looks awesome. What media/lam did you use? I wrapped one of our desks 5+ years ago with IJ180cv3 + 10mil lustex. Still looks like the day I installed it.

ikarasu

Does it need to be conformable? the only issue with 180 + a thick overlam is you're not going to be able to stretch it, and a thicker overlam might cause it to pull up if it's not a perfectly flat surface.

I would use 180 LSE with whatever overlam you'd like... while 180 does bond to cupboards/wood, you're safer off with the lse....especially in high touch areas like a door. That or 3650... it's a permanent cast which should give a better bond

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Thanks Kate. Just out of curiosity, how come you guys went with IJ160? Can't say I've worked with the stuff before. Is it just a thicker cast film? I see it's 4mil, but didn't see if it was cast or cal.

I think it was a client request. We've never used it before or since, I think they had googled "floor vinyl" and pointed their finger at the first one. It's cal, but we found it surprisingly conformable to a tile floor.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Does it need to be conformable? the only issue with 180 + a thick overlam is you're not going to be able to stretch it, and a thicker overlam might cause it to pull up if it's not a perfectly flat surface.

I would use 180 LSE with whatever overlam you'd like... while 180 does bond to cupboards/wood, you're safer off with the lse....especially in high touch areas like a door. That or 3650... it's a permanent cast which should give a better bond

Doesn't need to be conformable, no. Just the faces/returns of cabinet doors and flat panels. Will check out 180 LSE, thanks!

ikarasu

https://vvividshop.com/collections/marble-vinyls These guys make some decent stuff too. I've used their material for a few random projects... I like how their install is, it's really low tack to begin with - I didn't think it'd last... but I did some mirrors with their Metalic blue and it didn't lift at all. I havent tried their wood grain / marble / suede/ brushed vinyls... but theyre cheap, I like how you can buy a 12" x 5' sample for a few bucks as well... Good to have some large samples instead of swatch books to view the entire pattern... We've been burned with 3M Dinoc buying a roll of vinyl based on the sample only to have it look completely different because it was a small swatch of the material... $3000 well spent!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have used the vivid version. It worked well and no complaints but getting has been a problem for us in the states.