• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DIY replacing head on arizona 250gt

somoflange

Hey folks. I have an AZ 250GT. It's doing quite well except one magenta head has a large swath of clogged nozzles. I'm not sure if it's a clog or head failure. We replaced our other Magenta head a couple years ago.
I'm looking for advice on a couple of things:
1. should I replace the head with a new one, or try to remove, clean and replace the current one?
2. Where would you go do purchase a replacement head?
3. I know that I can set voltages, etc. without a service key using the registry. what I'm not clear on is the alignment procedure or what those voltages are supposed to be set to exactly.

I'd appreciate any help!
thanks!

ToTo

Professional Support
I would suggest for the very first head replacement to get a experienced engineer and learn it by asking.
If you have seen it once you know.
It’s too much to explain by writing.
For ordering i would suggest digiprintsupplies, if they still have. And the engineer is agree with.
Océ doesn’t have stock anymore.
But AZ 3xx printhead works also. In this case you leave voltages ect from old printhead.
Mechanical adjustment is for vertical placement only. The rest is done using a common scanner and the scanner alignment tool (software)

somoflange

Thanks. I have a friend who has done a head replacement before. Doesn't the 3xxx series use CA4 heads? My printer has CA3 heads. Are these interchangeable?

ToTo

Professional Support
If you have CA3, good for you. But CA4 works also, but with parameters of CA3.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
apart from the voltages, you do need to align it.
1, Print head angle.
2, Alignment where you adjust the print head forwards and backwards.
3, nozzle timing alignment, side to side adjustment. that's all done on the computer.

I can't remember the procedures, but i wouldn't do it myself as i rather my tech come out and do it for me so i can continue to have my high quality prints.

AlsEU

For timing alignment special software and Epson scanner is required, for the voltage calibration service key is needed (if you leave the voltage from the old head, calibration could be difficult, as the drop size and flight path will be wrong). Some say, that it's possible to change the voltage by editing the register file manually, but playing with a register on the Windows computer is always dangerous...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I dont understand why you can't just get a service technician to do it for you. At least you know it's done properly.

somoflange

OCE will not even talk about the 250gt anymore. So, I'd have to find an independent service tech, and I frankly don't know where to look. I'm still feeling pretty burned by Oce with their end of support on this machine. even if I could find a service key, I wonder if it would still be valid?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
OCE will not even talk about the 250gt anymore. So, I'd have to find an independent service tech, and I frankly don't know where to look. I'm still feeling pretty burned by Oce with their end of support on this machine. even if I could find a service key, I wonder if it would still be valid?

If they're not supporting it, have you asked for a service key? that way you can actually keep it alive.

somoflange

That was the first thing I asked for when we heard they were discontinuing support. they said no. It looks to me like they don't want to keep it alive.

Nate1n22

Anytime I had a tech out replacing a head on our old 360, they would only adjust the screw connected to the printhead for the front to back adjustments. They always said they only do the left to right if you're noticing banding.

AlsEU

NateIn22, next time ask them about the calibration procedure after the head replacement - mechanical adjustment (with the screw) is only one of the steps. I agree, that when the head is located in the proper position (between reference head's stripes), it's possible to print, but optical calibration (with the scanner) is necessary to reach the proper printing quality.

Dug

Hey folks. I have an AZ 250GT. It's doing quite well except one magenta head has a large swath of clogged nozzles. I'm not sure if it's a clog or head failure. We replaced our other Magenta head a couple years ago.
I'm looking for advice on a couple of things:
1. should I replace the head with a new one, or try to remove, clean and replace the current one?
2. Where would you go do purchase a replacement head?
3. I know that I can set voltages, etc. without a service key using the registry. what I'm not clear on is the alignment procedure or what those voltages are supposed to be set to exactly.

I'd appreciate any help!
thanks!

I tried cleaning the old printhead(ours was cyan2) and it didn't work. I ordered a replacement head for ours from DigiPrint. If you order from them, they will sent the replacement procedure in a pdf. They mention using the key to set the voltages and waveform(which is printed on the box the head is shipped in). Can you point me in the direction of where you found the registry editing info?

glue_ru

Technician
I just got a CA4 printhead from Digiprint, no pdf info included, just a box with a printhead, specs on sticker on box, repackaged, but it works.
Since Oce' stopped support, there is no training, hence no more service keys, which is a sds license file you put on your laptop, NOT transferable.
Oce' protects their knowledge with dongles, bought from them and renewed timestamp every 60 days and a new license once a year, the dongle license issued first day of instructor led class. Or they use a license file, issued once a year to only trained techs, at their facility, (not "Jim" the 20 yr tenured tech in your shop who trains everyone at your place)
If you go to work for a company who trains their own techs based off of one guy who did get factory training, run fast in the other direction, its a cheap operation and you'll never be happy there. If they won't PROPERLY train Techs, they will also shortcut everything else.

glue_ru

Technician
Follow up on CA4 from Digiprint. I did not receive a pdf file or link to it, or any other instructions.
They did finally send a 11 page instructions, showing the various Oce sds tests, but it does help with understanding mounting and alignment of thumb screws

Last edited:

AlsEU

How could Digiprint Supplies (spare parts seller) provide you with the information about the head replacement? They sell parts to many different machines, do you think they have engineer manuals to all of them? No, they just have parts. It's up to you to replace the part.

glue_ru

Technician
How could Digiprint Supplies (spare parts seller) provide you with the information about the head replacement? They sell parts to many different machines, do you think they have engineer manuals to all of them? No, they just have parts. It's up to you to replace the part.

Well, in fact they do have the info, why would YOU expect a reseller to sell parts and know nothing about them, how stupid is that? But I realize you feel the need to jump and spout the normal hogwash found online by idiots.

AlsEU

Well, in fact they do have the info, why would YOU expect a reseller to sell parts and know nothing about them, how stupid is that? But I realize you feel the need to jump and spout the normal hogwash found online by idiots.
Having knowledge about the part itself is not the same as having the maintenance/service procedures (and I'm pretty sure that DP cannot circulate excerpts of the service manuals - they are available for trained service engineers, at least for Arizona/Acuity machines).
But I'll give you the procedure right now:
1. remove the old head
2. install the new head
3. do the calibrations

It's so simple, do you agree? But details matters...