Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question DIY Textured Wall Tools???

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by IVURI, Aug 3, 2020.

1. IVURI

IVURI New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has made their own textured wall installation tools, because the "pro" tools available are wildly overpriced, for what seems like a basic foam roller.

What alternative tools do you use for textured walls?

Thanks!

2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Invest in yourself. Its enterprising to come up with solutions, but having a good set of tools to make money with is essential.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. IVURI

IVURI New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Pinellas Park, FL
    I'm trying to find more affordable tool alternatives, not bend to the strong arm of tool companies.

I was hoping someone had a suggestion like, "I made my own tool, using..." or "I use this less expensive tool, from this store, it works well for me..."

I understand I could just buy the expensive tool, but that's not the point of this post.

4. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I got a 3M one off ebay for about half the price and it was well worth double the cost.

• Like Like x 2
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  5. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Good Luck. We have created our own tools for projects but we always have a basis of great tools to work with. You said those tools are just foam rollers, so head on over to the home depot and grab a few and go to town.

6. IVURI

IVURI New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Thank you for your expert input, your comments were very helpful and added value to this discussion.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    IDK what the 3m TSA tool is made from but it's magic. We bought it to certify heat set ATM's we were wrapping for a bank, I think we paid $400 for it. Definitely worth it.
    I've heard others will buy the foam roller and mount it to their own handles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    It would probably help out to indicate what you do typically and a little about your setup/shop before asking others to dig through the search results for you. Very friendly folks around here, once they glean you're more than the manager at a staples...

9. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    lol love it when a noob gets butthurt over opinions he didn't ask for.

You're new to the internet right?

10. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You can use the Rollepro, GeekWraps has a few tools that work well, and also Yellotools. Lots of options out there at various prices. A favorite go-to is the bill collector as it works well even on textured surfaces.

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    All I could think was, "How does a baseball bat/pipe wrench come into this whole conversation..."
    Thanks to google, I know how big of a asshat I am today!

12. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yeah this "Bill Collector" would tickle more than intimidate.

13. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    The foam rollers from Home Depot work well on many surfaces, our installers love them on rivets and other surfaces. Just take a browse around the hardware stores and see what you can find/re-purpose.

14. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    lol to people getting up in arms but I get where the OP is coming from.

we rarely do installation but I’d love to be able to do some wall murals or stuff around the shop. it’s hard to justify spending the money on 3M installation tools when it’s not something we’d really get any return on so it’d be nice to know what tools out there will get the job done when there isn’t a need for the premium option.

there’s no sense in buying a truck when you can just rent a uhaul