• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do clip-art data mining sites have legal rights to the clip art?

Andy D

Using Google reverse image look up more and more, it seems
that most clip-art & image sites are nothing more that data miners, that scour
the web looking for free clip-art and images, to host on their site and they
put their own watermark on them... Just wondering if anyone knows if that's correct?

I know this is a sensitive topic to many here... It's just something I have been wondering about for a while.

Andy D

Examples :

Attachments

• dancing-leprechaun-clipart-8.jpg
    dancing-leprechaun-clipart-8.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 118
  • depositphotos_19202783-stock-illustration-happy-leprechaun.jpg
    depositphotos_19202783-stock-illustration-happy-leprechaun.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 105
  • happy-leprechaun_gg63706548.jpg
    happy-leprechaun_gg63706548.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 96

shoresigns

Yeah, you really have to learn to figure out which sites are legit and which are just pirating everything. It's the same for fonts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Google image search simply shows you where it finds the image on the web. Those sites may be end users who have acquired the image through available licensing or it may be a legitimate stock site like DepositPhotos.com who contracts with the artist to market the image in return for royalties. It may also be a site which has not acquired the image legitimately. Clipart artists, among others, use the search to determine who may have the image displayed and available for download without a license granting that right.

There really isn't much value in mining a low resolution image and then offering it for paid or free download.