• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Do I have to wait 24hrs so I can laminate?

Johnny Best

You are a nasty little man DerbyCity. What is your job in the sign shop, loading rolls in the printer for the grumpy old man that runs it and telling everyone how smart you are. I think Elizabeth Warren left you on somebody's doorstep 20 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This forum often reminds me of the TV show Always Sunny in Philadephia with each thread here being like a scene that starts with a premise then quickly devolves into a bunch of nonsensical arguing.

That's an odd observation. I was thinking along the same lines, but more like the Gong Show or To Tell the Truth. Certainly isn't American's Got Talent. Hey, maybe for some of these it could be Super Human. Yeah, that's the ticket.

DerbyCitySignGuy

You are a nasty little man DerbyCity. What is your job in the sign shop, loading rolls in the printer for the grumpy old man that runs it and telling everyone how smart you are. I think Elizabeth Warren left you on somebody's doorstep 20 years ago.

Says the guy who's constantly picking fights and mocking people with crummy drawings. So much cognitive dissonance. I'm actually a really nice guy, I just don't like bullies and you fall into that category. So the reason you might think I'm nasty is because I think you're a POS and I don't like you.

Sign.ed

Have we reached the bottom yet or is there still a way to go?

I have a bathysphere. You bring the popcorn?

The question was aptly answered several times. If you can wait, wait. If you can't wait, it's a maybe, but not likely.

What I have learned in the sign business is that there are truths, but NO laws.
This business is insanely fluid.

Last edited:

Warhog42

I have a Mimaki jv130 eco solvent and have laminated almost immediately with 16 pass count. You go 24. Or more have to wait

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ironchef

So what about latex? Like an hp 365? Are they right about the no drying time? Because I'm thinking of making the switch from a mimaki cjv30 with ss21 inks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ikarasu

Latex is instant dry. It doesn't use chemicals like solvent, you can laminate the moment it's off the printer with no issues. Or even apply it instantly without laminate if that's what your doing.

Same with uv prints pretty much.

Johnny Best

ironchef, the heaters on a latex printer heat up pretty high to cure the ink. Your in Miami, better have the AC on high in that printer room.
But you can take the print right off and laminate without waiting.

dale911

President
I have both printers. Both machines have their place and I have some medias that print on one better than the other. As far as outgassing, drying, whatever you want to call it, here is a real life, everyday example of the affects of ss21 ink on the media. When I print decals and want to cut them, (non laminated because of customer request) if i am cutting into an area that has ink, the decal will curl up all along the edges a few minutes after being cut, ruining them. If I give them a few hours to sit, they are fine. "Dry" is a relative term. We consider something dry if we can touch it and it doesn't come off on our hand, doesn't feel "wet" or whatever. While something may seem dry, it may not be in the technical sense of the word. Just be patient with your prints and experiment. Like others have said, if you are in a rush, do what you have to do. In my case, rush jobs go on the latex and others go on the Mimaki unless it's a pop up banner. Then it has to go on the Mimaki because it will warp on the latex. There are exceptions to every rule and we learn a lot by breaking the rules and creating new ones. That's how we learn and advance.

As for these forums, you will learn a lot, including how some people like to comment on things. I have learned that Johnny Best is a pretty damn good sketch artist, something I could never do. Have a great day everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papabud

Lone Wolf
as a latex printer owner. i switched from my mutoh to latex and its worked out great for me. latex is cured in the machine by a lot of heat. i think my machine normally runs at 230 degrees. so air conditioning is very important.
i have laminated solvent inks almost right away without problems most of the time. and when i had issues it could of been the millions of other things involved that could of caused them.
it is safer to let things sit before laminating. but the world wont end if you dont.

ironchef

Good advice guys. I don't have a latex. I'm going to be making a decision on a second printer really soon. I'm planning on keeping my mimaki cjv30 on ss21. I'm stuck between the epson surecolor, hp latex 365 and I'm trying to figure out why the mimaki latex printers aren't that popular.

PenSigns

If I could chime in here, and relate an experience we had last year. Full vehicle wrap with heavy ink coverage in some areas (a zombie cop, car to be exact). We printed ecosol ink on 3M IJ180 mc using our Roland versacamm. Let it off gas for about 24 hours before laminating. It was a nightmare! The adhesive was super aggressive, air release virtually non-existent. And trying to remove the wrinkled mess we did get on was a chore! A panic call to our rep, and he said with heavy ink coverage, two to three days to cure. We did, and he was right. The vinyl behaved the way it should. We sent printed samples to 3m, and the good people there gave us a credit anyway for our wasted printed vinyl :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I could chime in here, and relate an experience we had last year. Full vehicle wrap with heavy ink coverage in some areas (a zombie cop, car to be exact). We printed ecosol ink on 3M IJ180 mc using our Roland versacamm. Let it off gas for about 24 hours before laminating. It was a nightmare! The adhesive was super aggressive, air release virtually non-existent. And trying to remove the wrinkled mess we did get on was a chore! A panic call to our rep, and he said with heavy ink coverage, two to three days to cure. We did, and he was right. The vinyl behaved the way it should. We sent printed samples to 3m, and the good people there gave us a credit anyway for our wasted printed vinyl :)

So, they didn't reimburse you for your wasted ink, time putting on/taking off and all the other things you're out ??

ironchef

Well I decided on the hp 570. Only thing is, the printer area is in the warehouse. Lol I have a huge 16'x20'banner over the printer area to catch dust. So I have to figure this out, maybe get a bigger a/c unit.

Cynosure

Late to the party, but for future reference it seems like sunlight plays a big roll in this as well. Did some prints on oracal 3651 and laminated. About a year later, the sign in the shade was fine but the one in the sun looked rusted. Sent in samples...outgassing was the culprit.