• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I need or want Flexi

chartle

I have a New Mimaki JV33-130 and a CG-130FX II. Also we have an old Roland SP-300 .

We are used to using Versaworks for everything with design done in Adobe Illustrator CS5. By design I mean mostly adding cut lines or other tweaks to graphics provided by others.

With the Mimaki machines we are using Raterlink Pro to print and the then going back to AI to cut. Coming from versaworks this just doesn't seem right for efficient work flow. I now seem to keep all the jobs (maybe 15 to 20) I may work on in AI all the time which just slows it down and is confusing.

I've really been looking at Flexi, I have the demo but its hard to really do stuff in it. The guy I work with used to use it at another job and thinks it the best mostly because AI just confuses him.

So any reason not to use Flexi and the bigger question is what version? I see one computer running all machines. Any heavy design work would be done on another machine using AI.

I need an independent opinion, our dealer that is just a block away is kind of anti flexi sort of. I just don't think he looks at things from a production standpoint and the rasterlink AI solution is good enough.

thanks

SignBurst PCs

You have a lot going on in that post.

I would be happy to talk to you about this and answer any questions that you may have.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You already have everything you need to run your shop. I think you would be throwing money away getting Flexi. Not because Flexi is a bad choice but just because you don't need it. The version of Flexi you are going to need to run all of your machines is going to be in the $2000 range unless you have an older version to upgrade from.

You don't need to go back to AI to cut your print jobs. You can do it right out of Rasterlink on the same job you use to print. If you aren't laminating, you can just let the printer cut right after it prints without touching anything. That seems more efficient to me. I only cut out of Illustrator when it is a cut only job.

Edit: I have CJV30s on the mind. You can't cut out of Rasterlink to your separate Mimaki cutter. You do have to go back to AI. I still wouldn't recommend the expense of Flexi to streamline thing just a little in your situation.

Last edited:

Steve C.

You already have everything you need to run your shop. I think you would be throwing money away getting Flexi. Not because Flexi is a bad choice but just because you don't need it. The version of Flexi you are going to need to run all of your machines is going to be in the $2000 range unless you have an older version to upgrade from.

You don't need to go back to AI to cut your print jobs. You can do it right out of Rasterlink on the same job you use to print. If you aren't laminating, you can just let the printer cut right after it prints without touching anything. That seems more efficient to me. I only cut out of Illustrator when it is a cut only job.

Edit: I have CJV30s on the mind. You can't cut out of Rasterlink to your separate Mimaki cutter. You do have to go back to AI. I still wouldn't recommend the expense of Flexi to streamline thing just a little in your situation.

:thumb: +1. I agree with your co worker, AI confuses me, but so does flexi. I have it because
it came bundled with my printer. It just depends what you are willing to pay and spend time
learning. I don't think you need it.

BALLPARK

I use Flexi to create contour cuts. That is it...

I like Photoshop and Illustrator to design my files.

Then I use Versaworks to rip and print. Looking into EFI right now for non-Roland printer, but will always be a fan of Versaworks.

Had Flexi and HATED it. It would always crash and color management was pretty much non existent. If you have Illustrator you don't need Flexi for design. If you are going to be getting Flexi to drive your equipment I would suggest a different RIP like Onyx or Caldera. We have switched to Onyx and I'm loving it.

gabagoo

you can run flexi photo print ( which is what I have) and still set up your files in Illustrator. Photoprint is much less costly.

jpena9137

I have a New Mimaki JV33-130 and a CG-130FX II. Also we have an old Roland SP-300 .

We are used to using Versaworks for everything with design done in Adobe Illustrator CS5. By design I mean mostly adding cut lines or other tweaks to graphics provided by others.

With the Mimaki machines we are using Raterlink Pro to print and the then going back to AI to cut. Coming from versaworks this just doesn't seem right for efficient work flow. I now seem to keep all the jobs (maybe 15 to 20) I may work on in AI all the time which just slows it down and is confusing.

I've really been looking at Flexi, I have the demo but its hard to really do stuff in it. The guy I work with used to use it at another job and thinks it the best mostly because AI just confuses him.

So any reason not to use Flexi and the bigger question is what version? I see one computer running all machines. Any heavy design work would be done on another machine using AI.

I need an independent opinion, our dealer that is just a block away is kind of anti flexi sort of. I just don't think he looks at things from a production standpoint and the rasterlink AI solution is good enough.

thanks

When shopping around I called Sai and they told me that they now offer the software as a subscription service. $50/month gets the latest edition. Its a pretty cheap way to give it a solid test run without having to commit thousands to a software.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on your profile, you come from a rather large company. I'm sure they can afford anything you need or want.

Do you need it ?? Not really. However, if the other guy is proficient in it and you are in Illustrator, you'll have the best of both worlds as you both learn each others software. You'll find countless reasons to use it. We have various software programs and we actually use them all from time to time. Some more than others, but some do things better than others and you'll just have more to pull from in the end.

hansman

Your original post is a bit confusing. Isn't the RasterLink Pro a print and cut rip like Versaworks?
Why would you go back to Illustrator?
You should be able to send 1 file over to the rip with the main artwork in CMYK or RGB with a single spot color called out for the cut path. *(CutContour) spot color in Versaworks etc.
If not I would look in to a true print - cut rip like Onyx or Caldera. In addition to print and cut you can control your color by creating your own profiles, as well as linearizing.