• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I need Resizing Software?

prosigner

Hey everyone,

Is PS alone good enough for resizing and upsizing images, or are there better alternatives such as Perfect Resize 7 that would provide an advantage?

Thanks! :U Rock:

Jason1

I have version 6 of perfect resize. I cant tell that much difference between photoshop cs6 and PR6. Maybe just me. I have never printed a perfect resize image and compared to a photoshop print. I mostly print 3'x5' in size so far. Never really tested it on larger prints....

4R Graphics

it really depends on the size and resolution of the starting file and the finished size needed.

I have resize 7 and have printed many files that were resized with it and all i can say is if you are starting with a file that is say 2ftX3ft @75dpi and need it to be 6ftX9ft @75 dpi then you will want re-size software.

Even the resize software has limits the basic rule that i have learned is what ever the size of the pic @ the dpi you want it at you can usually go 250% larger before you see quality issues (that are noticable from the distance that you would need a graphic that large for).

example:2'X3' @75dpi start = 7' X 10.5' @75 dpi.

if there is garbage in the original file you will see it when blown up no matter how you blow it up. Garbage in Garbage out.

Matt-Tastic

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but in CS3 & CS4, Photoshop used 2 different algorithms for scaling. one was a much nicer scaling (used for slight enlargements), but took a lot longer to render, and the other was faster (for huge enlargements) but didnt' provide as good of results.

I had a customer who made an action in PS to enlarge by 8%, which would use the better algorithm, and run it several times until he got close to the size he needed. it seemed to provide pretty good results.

rjssigns

We only use the OnOne software. More predictable results without wasting time tweaking. Using a decent photo to start with we easily go 1000%.

Like was said before though: GIGO(garbage in/garbage out)

The last pic I did was horrid to start with and I ended up adding a touch of film grain to cover some issues. Client was happy I managed to get it to 11"x17".

ForgeInc

I have a very talented photographer/retouching buddy who told me the last couple versions of photoshop were as good as any specialized resize software.

Just need to select the correct algorithm when doing the resizing (I always use "best for enlargements")

OADesign

Like he GIGO rule applies more oftern then not.

But there is a piece of software by AlienSkin called "Blow Up". (Same guys the make the Eyecandy PS plugins

I thought I was just a gimmick until I got to try it. Excellent program albeit on the pricey side.

If you MUST HAVE another program outside of PS to feel satified, It is just shy of a "must have" companion to PS for large format /wrap guys IMO.

check it out here:

http://www.alienskin.com/blowup/index.aspx

signswi

Used properly Perfect Resize will give you better results as you have much more granular control over the upsampling process. However, you can get okay results by repeatedly upsampling in Photoshop. Upsample using Bicubic Smoother 6.25%, apply x number of times to reach the target size. After that's done, carefully smart sharpen to bring the edges back. I often find using the history brush to back down areas with lots of upsampling artifacts is necessary after the sharpen.

On a similar note, for denoise-ing, you can get okay results in Photoshop alone but the additional levels of granular control in Noise Ninja will give you better results.

Those are basically the only two Photoshop plugins I fully endorse a sign shop to own.

jmcnicoll

In my opinion resizing software will just save some time over using photoshop. If using photoshop going in small steps will usually be as good as any resizing software I have used.