• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I need to transfer tape?

skyhigh

I have to apply a 5.5" stripe on a vehicle, using oracal 751. What are my chances of applying this without transfer tape? I was figuring on using a 6" wide felt squeegie.

Sorry for the "dumb" question (for you pro vinyl appliers).....I usually Transfer tape everything, unless its something like a 1" border stripe.

:thankyou:

Kottwitz-Graphics

I would. It would prevent the vinyl from stretching too much, plus it will keep any scratches to a minimum.

Anything over a couple of inches and I mask it.

AAA Graphics

This is my first time posting, although I read the Q&A all the time. When I stripe Vehicles, I use the wet apply method without transfer tape.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I believe it's whatever you feel comfortable doing. 5.5" by how long ?? That might help factor in.

I personally, would probably not use any, but I know I've already used it. It really depends on conditions and how much extra vinyl you have in case you screw it up. Try it both ways and decide what you like and make it your own.

wes70

As Gino stated, it really depends on the length. I find anything over 6' will stretch or skew off if there is no transfer tape.

HulkSmash

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I believe it's whatever you feel comfortable doing. 5.5" by how long ?? That might help factor in.

I personally, would probably not use any, but I know I've already used it. It really depends on conditions and how much extra vinyl you have in case you screw it up. Try it both ways and decide what you like and make it your own.

this.

And i wouldn't do it wet.

skyhigh

This is what I'm doing.....
This is slightly exaggerated, but the body line has a slight arc to it. My thought was, it would be easier to follow the contour without tape, then to cut the vinyl with this arc.

This picture is reflected, and is actually the passenger side (which has alot of breaks with the door). The drivers side (cargo area) will be the longest continual piece @ 9' long.

Attachments

• stripe.jpg
    stripe.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 100

skyhigh

Step 1. Get that baby back on the ground!!!

Step 2. On van's like that (ford) i would do it sans-premask, and follow the channel in the van as a guide. I myself would do it with rapid tac just to eliminate the risk of bubbles and to give myself some wiggle room....but that's just me.

haha Pat. Would definately help if I lowered it to the ground.

Doing it "WET".....I'm thinking that would prevent me from that little "stretch" I was counting on, to follow the body crease????

yes...no?

PS. I don't have one spare inch of vinyl to spare. On a bright side, they make more vinyl everyday. :ROFLMAO:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did a few trucks like this a few weeks ago. blue stripe.jpg The blue was laid down by a single person without tape and some slight misting of weasel piss at the fender wells. He did both sides on three vehicles. The back was a full digital print.

Once he got the first one down, they went considerably better. It was also about 55° in the truck bay that day.

skyhigh

Gino....
All the blue without TT? This must have been an air release vinyl, and the blue printed? Or perhaps you ran it thru your laminator to stiffen it up??

If you tell me this was a thin cast, (cut vinyl, without lam), then I'm impressed.

skyhigh

Gino, the van looks great !!! But why was the guy behind the wheel upset with you?

Attachments

• Gino's van.jpg
    Gino's van.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 117

skyhigh

just to reiterate from my initial post.....
I will be using oracal 751. Is not using TransTape a bad idea?

please no, "Is having a snow ball battle with pitching great Randy Johnson a BAD IDEA?"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even where you're putting this stripe, with cast I still don't think I'd use any tape, but I might mist a few areas here and there, if needed.

He wasn't mad at me. One of those little turds got away and jumped on his lap and he thought I put it there. Silly customer.

Border

I've done those ford vans with an almost identical blue stripe about the same width. I used transfer tape and was able to follow that curve with just a little effort, using a straight-cut stripe. 3M Vinyl, no air release.

skyhigh

Thanks for all that replied.

I'm going to give a smaller (less critical) area a try without TT. I'll let ya all know how it turns out.
:U Rock:

Although Fred hasen't replied to this thread, I do remember some of his past advice....
"Hold your mouth like this :cool: and pretend you know what your doing."

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It was 3M comply controltac air release blue. Not printed. No need to laminate.... that I know of. We laminated the prints, if that helps whatever your concern is.