• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do not wet reflective material?

ams

Not sure why you say that, it'll be secure in all 4 corners, it's small, and has a brace to hold it.

I don't think I have enough Omega Signboard left to do this job.

ams

Found out I don't have enough to do the job, so explained that I will be using a wood sign instead. Will be wrapping it with vinyl and putting reflective on top of that.

signmeup

Found out I don't have enough to do the job, so explained that I will be using a wood sign instead. Will be wrapping it with vinyl and putting reflective on top of that.
What? What are trying to achieve? How big is this sign?

Billct2

wrapping wood with vinyl and applying reflective....? Just what are you doing. How big is the sign, how will it be installed (4 corners & a brace sounds odd)?

Sign_Art

make sure the wood sign is sealed and make sure the surface is smooth to allow for a good contact surface for the vinyl to adhere too.

ams

Geeeezzz everyone thinks I have no clue what I am doing, I've done over 200 jobs, (between 2 sign businesses) and about 25 wooden signs.

First of all it's crystal clear smooth wood planed down and shiny.

Second it's 25" tall by 60" long.

Third it's a shopping center directory sign. Attached is what it looks like.

Attachments

• shoppingcenter.jpg
    shoppingcenter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 63
J

john1

Did a tow truck in reflective about 4 years ago. Did it wet and it looks brand new even to this day. Hell i used Avery 3 year reflective too with rapid tac

AUTO-FX

I remember seeing the 3M tech bulletin regarding wet app and mildew- quite some time ago. I also remember seeing reflective with mildew growing behind it but not recently and not on one of my own jobs. I always tried to go dry ( a pain in the arse with 3M brand), but misted lightly if i had to do something tricky.Oracal, Nikkalite seemed to have a more user friendly adhesive for dry apps. The Oracal guys were doing cool demos with their reflective at the show in orlando.Good stuff.

gabagoo

I am currently doing 8 vehicles for a Canadian Govt agency and it is a blue 4" reflective stripe all around with a 2" yellow high intensity stripe down the middle. The new Ford pickups have this huge indentation above the wheel wells and makes putting the blue reflective down in those spots near impossible dry. I use Rapid Tac to put those 4 pieces down and then put the yellow stripe in dry. The yellow striping is so thick and actually has a metalic background so it is a real pain getting it to sit flat through that area and requires heat gun and constant squeeging and even then it starts to lift on the edges. I have warned the customer that I cant guarantee this type of install and may have to replace the striping if it lifts off.

JR's

I am aware, and informed him that it may pose problems in the future, but he continued on about wanting cheap.

not wanting to be a prick but here go's. do you let this customer tell you how to run your business in other areas.
where to get you material
what to buy
how to charge. ects ects ects. ????

JR
:frustrated:

signmeup

Up here a 4x8 sheet of Alupanel goes for 65 bucks. Half of one would be 32 bucks. How cheap was your "crystal clear shiney" wood? It just sounds like you are going at this in the most bizzare way possible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know what, based on that picture, your customer's requests and your expertise after 200 jobs, just do it the way you see fit.

Why do people bother asking questions, if they already have all the answers ??

I might suggest using Cor-X to make it cheaper yet. Also, A V E R Y seems to be the product that comes to mind if you're looking for cheap for your customer.

Knock 'em out, Fay. :thumb: