• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do we need to replace 2 heads

Awards+

We have done several soak cleanings and are going to try pulling ink through the lines with a syringe but I think the yellow and magenta are toast.

test print.jpg

MikePro

set a nozzle wash, and power-down your machine (front and back switch). let sit for 12+ hours.

do you have cleaning cartridges? a head wash after a long nozzle wash would be my best suggestion before resorting to a head replacement.
you'll need 4 cartridges, and have to run the cycle twice as 12-- and --34, but disconnect the black and cyan lines at the ink pump prior to doing it and your printer won't drain those lines during the procedures (saves lotsa ink and $$$)

jjwstar

what would the procedure be if i just need to do a head wash just the 1 head light cyan / light magenta?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Looks like head strike damage to me. Look very close at the bottom of those 2 heads with a magnifier - if you see a scratch right across the middle then yep - they are done.

Awards+

We can print but there is quit a bit of deflection. Is this effecting our color output? I've only been at this job for 2 weeks so I have nothing to compare to.

MikePro

what would the procedure be if i just need to do a head wash just the 1 head light cyan / light magenta?

you'll still need 4 cleaning cartridges, but if you're familiar with the head wash procedure... you'll know that you can set it as 12-- or --34 to wash only 2/4 heads. to take it a set further, and only wash 1 head... just simply disconnect the ink like at the pump, and the printer won't cycle that head.

Dave Rowland

i never used the cleaning carts..... syringes are necessary with this type of printer as you need to pull the ink thru once in a while.

Anyway... if ur seeing some deflection in the working part of the print head and the middle is gone on BOTH the heads then I am thinking that it is pumping. Got to be hasn't it? other thing it could be is not a perfect seal which can happen to the caps. I think this is a JV3SP machine as I am more used to the JV3S, so I am not sure on ur pump/capping configuration.

Another thing to check, is ur waste full? can you do a disway wash okay where u drop fluid in the caps and it gets rid of it down the pipe... if u take the tank bottle away and do disway wash (warning: ink splashes) then see if it dribbles out of the tube, that give you a good clue if your blocked.

But I wouldn't waste much time... get straight on it... time is ticking to sort it before the head is blocked. I find it strange that you lost all of these at once.

If you pull the ink thru the lines easily... and it shows all the nozzles then u know the head is okay but if u then start using the machine and it blocks again, then u know its sucking issue

Awards+

i never used the cleaning carts..... syringes are necessary with this type of printer as you need to pull the ink thru once in a while.

Anyway... if ur seeing some deflection in the working part of the print head and the middle is gone on BOTH the heads then I am thinking that it is pumping. Got to be hasn't it? other thing it could be is not a perfect seal which can happen to the caps. I think this is a JV3SP machine as I am more used to the JV3S, so I am not sure on ur pump/capping configuration.

Another thing to check, is ur waste full? can you do a disway wash okay where u drop fluid in the caps and it gets rid of it down the pipe... if u take the tank bottle away and do disway wash (warning: ink splashes) then see if it dribbles out of the tube, that give you a good clue if your blocked.

But I wouldn't waste much time... get straight on it... time is ticking to sort it before the head is blocked. I find it strange that you lost all of these at once.

If you pull the ink thru the lines easily... and it shows all the nozzles then u know the head is okay but if u then start using the machine and it blocks again, then u know its sucking issue

I have only been here for 2 weeks so I kind of got thrown into the problem. Ink appears to be flowing through the waste lines during a cleaning / washing without a problem. Do I need to have the printer on a certain setting while pulling ink through the lines with a syringe?

MikePro

Do I need to have the printer on a certain setting while pulling ink through the lines with a syringe?
nope, just has to be parked on the capping station.
ink draws freely through the waste lines, just don't pull too hard/fast as to damage the head.

MikePro

tough luck, but yep yep that's you're problem rite there.
try to recall how this happened in the first place, and make sure to avoid in the future.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ouch - cant see the one too well but the magenta strike is pretty darn obvious. That head is trashed. I'd also look at getting one of the new style capping stations - not sure who is stocking them but the new capping stations - the metals screens are permanently fixed in. I've personally had one of the metals screens get loose and actually managed to jam itself between the capping station and one of the caps sticking up - it scratched right across the middle of all 4 heads literally destroying all 4 at once. :frustrated:

Depending on how long since things have been replaced and whatnot you in my opinion have a couple of options. Dump a couple grand into your fairly old machine on at least 2 new heads (and may as well while you are at it replace both pumps, capping station, and all dampers) or look at upgrading to a newer machine. Find a good used JV33 or look at one of the HP Latex machines.

Sorry to see the head trashed so bad but it's what I suspected from the test print. I've seen test draws looking exactly like that.... and it's not a good feeling.

Dave Rowland

yep. agreed... i seen this before but normally on the head that would be at the end of the set, not the middle ones.

check anything to far raised.. move head slowly by hand to see what gets in the way

MikePro

my bet is that the cutter blade came loose and fell off, and got tumbled by the printheads.
that white thumb screw that holds it on vibrates loose.