• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you charge for white vinyl? (LOL)

J

john1

Hey guys! I had a call today from someone from a local big city wanting some window graphics for his new business.

He first said "i want something painted on my windows", so i asked do you want paint or do you want vinyl lettering. He said "something that will stay".

So he goes on to tell me what size area we are working with and such and i told him i would give him a call back once i got to my office since i was out with my family.

I do some rough numbers since i feel as if he is a tire kicker and log onto signcraft online on a droid to see where i'm at. I'm right in the ballpark so i call him back and gave him a rough estimate off what he gave me since he needed to know a ballpark he said.

He goes "So your charging me if i want white letters, Some other guy said he doesn't even charge for white since it's such a basic color". I told him that's how he runs his business, Here i charge for the amount of colors used and on a per job basis. He then proceeds to say "i don't want to put much money in this since i'm just starting up".

I said but the advertising value of a few hundred over the course of a year even is nothing to define your business from surrounding businesses. I said image is everything and he seemed dumbfounded after i said this.

Then he begins to tell me he wants also a sign, i said what size, substrate, what copy etc and he says "i don't know, i just want a road sign with my business name and phone number so not big"

Some people are unreal lol

Needless to say, I didn't get the job because he wanted me to travel a hour to install the graphics and he was complaining about the pricing. I would have traveled no problem at his cost but if he was complaining already, I'd hate to see what he said about the travel cost.

Next time i order supplies i'm going to ask "Why are you charging me for white, it's a basic color" and see the response

Si Allen

As soon as you found out that he was an hour away ... and ...
"Some other guy said he doesn't even charge for white since it's such a basic color"
... he is a tire kicker and you are wasting your time.

At the above quote I would have hung up the phone!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

S

SignTech

don't answer your phone during dinner with the family .............. customers like that get charged double for white because of the stupid factor.............. xx

J

john1

I wasn't at dinner, I was actually in the parking lot getting ready to go inside a store lol

I told him $150 minimum for 1 color and $250 min for 2 color which is a rough estimate and he said "so it's going to cost me $600 because i still have to get someone to put it on" LOL

J

john1

I know, i said "I don't know where you got $600 from but alright" lol

I guess after having business pick up in Jan this is my bad apple of the month

heyskull

I get this a t least once a week.
Usually I ask them how much they have to spend?
Then I laugh and put the phone down.
Obviously this guy doesn't have any value of his business or ours.

SC

iSign

a guy was asking me about vehicle signs, and then kept hinting at me sending layouts. I said he could give me a charge card to get the job scheduled & then I'd have layouts within a day or two... then he came right out and said he wants to see the layout to decide.. I asked what business these signs were for & he said landscaping... I had already tried to politely tell him I need to charge for my work, and doing layouts is work.. but he wasn't getting it, so I asked if he could landscape my yard & if I liked it I would pay him...
-
-
-
-
*click*

well, got it over in 3 minutes anyway!!