• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you give a test ?

Drip Dry

I'm looking to hire a new graphic designer.
Do you give them some type of test to see if they can
actually design anything other than a stop sign ?

Many come with a nice portfolio, but I'm not sure if it's
even their own work.

So, if you do test them, what type of test do you give them ?

Thanks
jt

Gino

Premium Subscriber
An interview.

Find out what they know by asking questions and letting them fill in the blanks. Ask them to do a quickie design and see if they know how to handle the software. If you like them invite them to work for a week at minimum wage or an agreed upon wage and give them an evaluation and discuss a new hourly wage at that point.

I don't rely on portfolios a or CD's at all. For all you know, it took them a whole semester to get one decent piece of work after a prof and other students might've helped them. Besides, how many album covers, dumb business cards or cans of soup labels can you look at while interviewing people ??

ProWraps

as gino mentioned. probationary period. all your employees should have one whether designers or installers, etc.

Dan Antonelli

yeh we do 3 month probabtion also. Our interviews can be pretty rigorous though, and I have a three page questionnaire that I use to weed people out. Thankfully, all my hires have turned out to be rock stars. But I think not only being able to judge current abilities as well as future capabilities is where it's at. A lot of our junior designers, we're so-so at hire, but I knew they had potential to evolve. So it's important to note where you think they can go with the right training and guidance.

Also, while portfolio's are an important aspect - consider also how they will be able to interact directly with clients. Can you put them in front of one - and have them say the right things? Can they run a meeting with a client without you? I've seen plenty of stellar portfolios from folks who couldn't form complete sentences.

SO unless you've got an AE running interference between creatives and clients, make sure the creatives can represent you well.

GypsyGraphics

I've had a few people interview and show work I know wasn't theirs. What'll be funny is the day someone has a piece I've done in their portfolio. It's pretty sad... they just grabbed brochure, fliers, postcard and business cards they think are nice and try and pass them off as their own. The stuff that was really bad I figured they actually did themselves.

However, I prefer seeing their actual printed jobs to viewing their website or a CD they bring in, I need to know they can do work that can actually go to print. I still get people who don't understand web vs print (color, resolution, file types).

I recommend, having a list of questions prepared and a file to test them on their skills. I have interviewees replicate a few fairly simple shapes, if they are coming in with only a basic knowledge of illustrator or whatever is appropriate for the skill level required for the position.

And good advice mentioned above... probationary period.