• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Do you have a problem with customers leafing through your paperwork when discussing their jobs?

rossmosh

On a rare occasion I run into a problem where a customer will come in to discuss their order, a past order, or a potential order and I'll have my paper work. I may leave it on the counter or in their general proximity and they will just start leafing through it.

I've tried to get a lot better about not having any internal notes or pricing, but sometimes it's just necessary or helps our production flow. I never know how to respond because it's somewhat an innocent act (not really) but it genuinely triggers me.

How do you respond to grabby customers who touch things that aren't theirs to touch?

signheremd

Keep it professional. First, never write/type anything that would be to your detriment in the view of the customer or the law. Second, the customer is the one paying you and ultimately pleasing them (as many as possible) determines your success and your finances. Now if they want to take a note from your paperwork, say something like, if you'd like a copy of that I can make a copy quickly. If they resist, let them know that you need that to maintain your records and to ensure the job is/was done correctly. Third, while I think it is not a problem to allow the customer to see your complete record of a job, if you want to prevent it, take a moment to only bring out the pertinent parts and leave the rest in your office.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
About 99% of my paperwork is in my office. When someone comes in and wants a quick quote or see my scribbling, I tell them, I'll make a copy for you. I've had people reach across the counter and turn my notes around to take a picture and I just say..... nah, nah, nah. These are my notes. No pictures, please. When I go out t greet a customer..... new or old, I always cover things up with old paperwork, in case they need to come in to look at the screen or something.

Keeping my stuff private and I don't seem to have that particular problem.