• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you have customer sign contract & deposit before wrap?

stickersmc

We've just picked up a new printer and are starting to do vehicle wraps. We've always subbed out the print work in the past and never really thought twice about deposits. However, we've had several people bring in other shop's artwork for wraps and we don't want customers doing that to us as well. (we don't design anything CLOSE to the other's artwork, don't worry)

I guess we figure if you make them sign a contract and put down a 50% deposit and pay the remainder before you hand them their keys with the finished product, it will alleviate that.

That being said... does anyone have a copy of what you use as a "contract"? Short of having a lawyer draw one up (costly), I can't seem to find any online.

Any help would be great... thanks!

Locals Find!

Invest in an attorney. It will be worth every penny. The laws from state to state are going to vary on contract law. The investment of a few hundred $$ hiring an attorney will reap you plenty of rewards in the long haul when you actually get paid and if you don't you will have a legal leg to stand on.

We don't want our clients making their own signs or wraps at home. We want them to use us professionals. So why would you try to cut out a professional in such an important undertaking to your business and livelihood??

WildWestDesigns

I would agree with going with an attorney. Now I have to add though that my father has ~40 yrs experience in contract/tax law so I am biased a little bit towards hiring someone that can create something that will stand up in court.

Jillbeans

I have used the same contract since about 1992, for everything.
And ALWAYS get a deposit. Always.
Sometimes people won't want to sign the contract and that's a good indicator of them as a "good" customer.
we've had several people bring in other shop's artwork for wraps
...not cool. Hope you didn't do that.
I watermark the bejesus out of things/low res proof, even after the deposit.
Love....Jill

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Depends on the customer to an extent. We do a LOT of work for various Ferderal, State, and local government agencies. Generally speaking - asking for a deposit from them is not going to fly. If the customer is a major well known large company - again, for me anyways, generally not. If however it's small business or an individual, yes 50% deposit up front every time. I've had plenty even say they have to go get their checkbook, to the bank, etc and never come back.... Only other time I might not ask for a deposit is if it is a repeat customer.

It's going to happen though - I have one right now that was a $3600 job. Got a $1800 deposit and am now fighting to squeeze them for the balance due. That being said - this one was nice about it, very honest, they are struggling with a new restraunt and the guy and his wife came in. When I told her we would be willing to take payments she nearly started crying.