• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you hem all sides of banner?

cr.designs

What is the standard out there for banners and hemming the sides. Are shops hemming all 4 sides on all size banners or just large banners that will be up for a long time? Im just using hem tape, not sewing.

TheSnowman

We do all sides, and grommet top and sides. I've ordered some bigger ones from sub's and they only grommet two sides...then the customer brings it back.

MikePro

hem all 4 sides here (tape), and only put grommets in the middle of the sides if its more than 3'.

Mosh

We sew all four sides. We have an industrial sewing machine, it has paid for itself
1,000 times. People that do not hem, well that is a lower class of work than we like to put out.

iSign

15 oz scrim, upper class sides (& corners), lower class top & bottom.

extra 1" sq. 15 oz reinforcement swatch behind every grommet.

5 years, no complaints

*edit* ...I forgot, Mosh sews his hems... mine are only middle class sides :)

Last edited:

MikePro

aye, agreed but most of our banners are temporary signage to mark monument/building signage anyways... so tape has worked just fine.

Last week I had a 10yr old banner come back to me from a church, for the 9th re-lettering (annual date changes, etc.), and tape still holds up great!

anything that has required hemming (for pole pockets), we just outsource and do the lettering ourselves prior to install.

Tovis

We usually hem all sides unless the customer doesn't want us to because its only going to be up for a day. We have a welder.

Tim Aucoin

Tape hem all 4 sides. Looks more professional than just top and bottom, plus uses very little tape & time to do. Grommets every 2', exception is on 36" width, then a grommet goes at 18".

I'm considering an industrial sewing machine. Mosh... what brand do you use and how much actual working space do you truly need? :rolleyes:

royster13

To me a banner that is hot hemmed on all sides bugs me.....But not quite as much as ones where the grommets are not nearly perfectly spaced.....

Gene@mpls

Tape hem all 4 here and grommet- unless very temp then a piece of power tape on the back to reinforce grommets. Only tape failure I have had was
a pole pocket hung at the top of an arena with no grommets. I assume it
got real hot up there- probably would have held with a few grommets for
mechanical bonding.