• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do You Paint The Back of HDU Signs?

Sven

The routed HDU sign is being screwed to a piece of MDO backer. Does the back need priming/painting? I would guess no, but I'm not sure..

J Hill Designs

from coastal enterprises:

All sides of the sign must be painted. This is due to Paint Tension Balance – because Precision Board Plus has no beam strength like wood, it can be pulled in the direction of the drying paint. This is eliminated by painting both front and back of the sign.

Mosh

If that is your question, my question to you is what kind of paint are you planning to use???

SD&F

I always prime and seal the entire sign. It is up to the customer if he wants it panted.
I get customers who want it now and as long as it is primed and sealed properly, you are fine. I usually do paint backs on signs if there is no rush.

Inkit

I'm guessing that this applies to any exposed area? If I'm taking 2 pcs of hdu and glueing together, I don't need to prime it first right?

TammieH

HDU needs paint on all exposed surfaces, the UV rays will break down the foam if its not protected.