• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you Print / Laminate / Cut from home?

Typestries

Gino raises VERY good points. He's biased of course, what with all that space and large overhead, he he. But, the life safety aspect of what he said is NOT TO BE DEBATED. Besides the awful smell that will totally permeate your house and your clothing from basement to top floor, do you really want a house full of solvent fumes when your furnace kicks on in the winter. Can anyone say Kaboom? Come to my shop with just one of my machines running and, even with a commercial ventilation system, lets talk about ink smell.

Kemble

I was under the impression that there were no gasses/fumes emitting from the 48" PrismJet VJ48? The ad specifically states "No special ventilation needed".

And... What do ppl have against SW? I've been using them and Fellers for over 4 years now and never had any problems with either one of them. Both give me free shipping and both give me better prices on certain items. Certain items I can only get from SW, and certain items I can only get from Fellers.

amw

Longtime Members
I was under the impression that there were no gasses/fumes emitting from the 48" PrismJet VJ48?

And... What do ppl have against SW? I've been using them and Fellers for over 4 years now and never had any problems with either one of them. Both give me free shipping and both give me better prices on certain items. Certain items I can only get from SW, and certain items I can only get from Fellers.

We dont have a PrismJet, but do have a Roland in our basement.
And before that in an upstairs room before we moved house.
No issues here.

Edserv

Not sure this will help, but we've been operating our sign business out of our home for almost three years. I would not recommend going too deep if you have to take stuff "down stairs." It cuts 20% out of your productivity (at a minimum). If you have a "walk-out" basement, then you're fine, but don't try to do a larger scale sign company out of a basement. The wide-format printers and cold-lams/cutters are difficult (extremely) to get into your basement, and you'll spend countless labor hours taking media and substrates up and down the stairs. Just don't do it. I'm lucky enough that my wife is willing to use parts of our house to store and produce this stuff right now, and we're trying to hold-off to getting a facility (we're in Hawaii, so it's 3 times more expensive to rent or buy a facility.) But why add labor time when you can side-step (by jobbing-out the jobs) or using a main level room that you can easily bring and take materials?
Please get more advice, thanks for your time,
Chris