• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you think a Vanguard needs an air scrubber?

FASTSIGNS

We have had our Vanguard VD5R for about a month. It is in our production area (1500 sq ft). Just changed the airconditioning filter and it was FULL of INK. Is this normal?

FatCat

Do you have any other printers in the area? (Solvent, latex, etc?) When was the last time you changed the filter?

10sacer

I would run an air scrubber (Island Air) for any wide format inkjet printer thats solvent or UV based.
You are breathing that mist all day long and don't even know it.
Worse than that is the mist getting caught in your eyes.
There were times I would walk outside after printing all day and the bright sun would immediately make my eyes start to water because of the UV mist on them.
Not good for long term vision prospects.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
2 things to do-
Make sure carriage is down near waste tank when not printing. That way the mist will go into the waste tank instead of the air.
Auto spray is important if you have white. But slow it down, doesn't need to spray every few seconds!

SignTeam.us

We have ours for a month and last week we had to clean all around the printer, because the ink was all over (inside and outside), I make sure is always down to table level. We have 3 flatbeds and this one is the only one doing it, But amazing quality print, We just need to figure out the low vacuum suction all over the table not holding the material down

FASTSIGNS

Do you have any other printers in the area? (Solvent, latex, etc?) When was the last time you changed the filter?
Yes, we have an epson. Removed our latex HP to move in the Vanguard. The Vanguard is the only new equipment.

FASTSIGNS

We have ours for a month and last week we had to clean all around the printer, because the ink was all over (inside and outside), I make sure is always down to table level. We have 3 flatbeds and this one is the only one doing it, But amazing quality print, We just need to figure out the low vacuum suction all over the table not holding the material down
Same with us! Came in on a Monday and ink everywhere. Vanguard said it didn't know how / why would happen. Thank you for the tip about table level - will discuss with operator.

FASTSIGNS

2 things to do-
Make sure carriage is down near waste tank when not printing. That way the mist will go into the waste tank instead of the air.
Auto spray is important if you have white. But slow it down, doesn't need to spray every few seconds!
thank you for the tip - will discuss with operator.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I would run an air scrubber (Island Air) for any wide format inkjet printer thats solvent or UV based.

Question for those who are running these, do you just plant them in the middle of the room in between all the printers? Do you run them 24/7 or just when printers are running?

I've wanted to add one of these for a while but haven't been able to wrap my head around the logistics. We have a Roland "eco"solvent and Mimaki UV LED on one side of the shop, and an Oce Arizona on the other.

The fumes definitely get pretty bad in here when we're running the printers all day.

FatCat

Question for those who are running these, do you just plant them in the middle of the room in between all the printers? Do you run them 24/7 or just when printers are running?

I've wanted to add one of these for a while but haven't been able to wrap my head around the logistics. We have a Roland "eco"solvent and Mimaki UV LED on one side of the shop, and an Oce Arizona on the other.

The fumes definitely get pretty bad in here when we're running the printers all day.

We have a "print room" where our R2R printers are and that is where the ICA 2000 sits. It does a good job at removing solvent fumes and any mist in the air. However, you have to make sure you keep up on changing the charcoal/carbon filter. Typically we do it every 4-6 months or when we start noticing the air quality getting bad. The ICA machines are good at what they do and well worth it to keep the shop air clean (er).

10sacer

I run mine at about 1500 square feet an hour during the day, then drop it to 700 sq. ft. an hour at night to do continual scrubbing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We have a "print room" where our R2R printers are and that is where the ICA 2000 sits. It does a good job at removing solvent fumes and any mist in the air. However, you have to make sure you keep up on changing the charcoal/carbon filter. Typically we do it every 4-6 months or when we start noticing the air quality getting bad. The ICA machines are good at what they do and well worth it to keep the shop air clean (er).

Good to know, thanks Sean! Reaching out to Island Air for pricing, it's been a while since I looked at these.

10sacer

Good to know, thanks Sean! Reaching out to Island Air for pricing, it's been a while since I looked at these.

I got mine from a graphic equipment reseller years ago for less than $1000. I would think there are probably some available these days. Just have to hunt for them

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I got mine from a graphic equipment reseller years ago for less than $1000. I would think there are probably some available these days. Just have to hunt for them

Yeah they're definitely not cheap, I was just quoted almost $5k USD for a new one. Ouch! Definitely not an exciting purchase but I think it's a good idea for our health and wellbeing.

Django

2 things to do-

Good suggestion here from Bruce.

I do believe you spoke to one of the VDDPS support team member and they have lowered your Mist settings. This will minimize the ink misting you are seeing.

10sacer

Yeah they're definitely not cheap, I was just quoted almost $5k USD for a new one. Ouch! Definitely not an exciting purchase but I think it's a good idea for our health and wellbeing.

A lot cheaper than cataract or glaucoma surgery.

FASTSIGNS

Thanks everyone for the input. Decided for peace of mind and abundance of caution to purchase and air scrubber. Island Air 2000. It is always $$++ when you put in new equipment (program upgrade, electrical, air compressor and on and on!) I should add that we are very happy with the Vanguard flatbed!