• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you upgrade firmware if nothing is broken?

Dukenukem117

Is there any reason to upgrade firmware if nothing is wrong? Our Latex is wired directly into the computer right now so it has no direct internet connection and can't send error reports or download. Its not meant to be a long term thing, but I'm wondering why upgrade and risk something going wrong if everything is performing as expected?

WildWestDesigns

I approach hardware updates like I do any other software updates (especially if the hardware doesn't have any means of getting an outside connection (direct or indirect(by indirect, I mean the printer isn't connect to a router(direct), but it is connected to a computer that has an internet connection)) and that is don't do them just for the mere fact of doing them. Now, if the hardware not having internet connectivity is not a permanent thing, that does skew the thinking here.

If there is something that is needed from an update, then by all means do them (functionality, bug fix and/or security update), but if the sole reason is for just being on the latest and greatest firmware/software update, I personally wouldn't do it. Especially if everything is working as it should.

I firmly believe that updates should be done, but in a controlled manner. While updates have their pros, every time one is done, there is a risk of disrupting the status quo with every update, even if it's one that is worth getting. Updates are very much a double edge sword. Don't want to get too far behind, but always being "bleeding" edge may not be the best either. However, if not totally connected to the internet (either the printer or the computer), the need for updates is less as long as everything continues to work the same.

Dukenukem117

I can't imagine what an update is capable of improving at this point. If its not connected to the internet, then security shouldn't be a problem either.

Two of my 3D printers got borked for a week because of a new firmware, hence why this came to mind.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes and No. HP often has very good updates in their firmware, but often they have major glitches. I would wait at least 2 Weeks to monitor if people have problems then decide. 2 years ago they released a firmware that broke printing, it would print but not cure.

Alot of times though the firmwares bring features or better color management.

E Coloney

My printer/computer function just fine and not connected to the 'net. I don't need to change anything and I don't need an interruption and thus don't risk any updates... $0.02

greysquirrel

If you have a current latex printer you should absolutely keep your firmware up to date...HP has A ton of resources working on this product. There are more latex printers than any other in the market right now...they are quick to respond with any know issues.

Dukenukem117

If you have a current latex printer you should absolutely keep your firmware up to date...HP has A ton of resources working on this product. There are more latex printers than any other in the market right now...they are quick to respond with any know issues.

But if there are no issues, then whats there to gain? Here are the 2 firmware updates released for my model, within a few months of each other. There hasn't been an update in over a year so this might be a moot point for my model.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...tex-560-printer/10721793/swItemId/tw-191642-2
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...tex-560-printer/10721793/swItemId/tw-215364-1

The first one sounds more substantial, but the second one doesn't. Since the second one came out only a few months later, I'm guessing the 'bug fixes' are to do with bugs created by the first update.

Update 1:
  • Improvements on the curing system, bug found on previous release currently fixed
  • Internet connectivity wizard test now passes properly when all requirements are accomplished
  • Improvements to reduce system error 19.11:10
  • New Curing Module System Error split
  • New feature available: “TUR rewinding for long plots“
  • New OMAS calibration Workflow
  • Print Head installation and cleaning routine internally improved
  • FW downgrade restriction
  • Minor internal changes to improve the printer’s functionality
Update 2:
  • Add new the real time alerts functionality
  • Fix to manual service registration workflow in QR code screen
  • Nimbus For Resellers
  • Fix a bug where jobs smaller than 2 inches were not possible to be printed